Author Topic: Katherine Gough/Goff Westerleigh 1693  (Read 2398 times)

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Katherine Gough/Goff Westerleigh 1693
« on: Sunday 05 March 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am currently try to find the origins of Katherine Gough nee ??.  She is listed on a 1693 bastardy bond with Joseph Hale of Iron Acton as a widow carrying his child.  The child I believe is referenced in the bond was born in Westerleigh and spent his life there.

In attempts to track down a possible husband for Katherine, I have been unable to a Katherine marrying a Gough/Goff in under a 2.5 hour radius, and so started looking for Gough Burials in the Westerleigh/Iron Acton region.  I have been able to track down 2 deaths for a Samuel Goff--one died in October 1688 and the other June of 1690 both in Westerleigh. Unfortunately all I have access to is the indexes for both which gives little information.  I'm trying to find marriages/any more info on the Samuels to see if they could be who I am looking for but the only thing I could find is a Samuel baptized in 1664 Minchinhampton.

There was a John Goff --coal miner--in Westerleigh known as of receiving payments in 1657 and buried in 1660, but I am unsure if there is a connection to the Gough/Goff I am looking for. (Source--Kingswood index)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much,
Nich
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Katherine Gough/Goff Westerleigh 1693
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 March 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »

On the National Archives National Archives Prerogative Court of Canterbury

(and can be down-loaded fro £3.45) is the

Will of William GOUGHE or GOUGH, Westerleigh, Husbandman dated 5 May 1649 - may be names of Sons are listed....

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 March 17 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I will need to get, fingers crossed it leads to a solid clue.  :)

I appreciate it!
Nich
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 March 17 12:51 GMT (UK) »

On the Forest of Dean:

Gloucestershire Marriage Allegations 1637-1837 and Marriage Bonds 1730-1823 ... there is just one GOUGH residence: Westerley

14 February 1709

John GOUGH
Elizabeth MOSLEY - residence: Westerly

Marriage allegation: sworn before Mr Mason
Transcriber's notes: Old style date 1708/9

---

Gloucestershire Marriage Index pre 1800 John GOFF and Elizabeth both of Westerly - married at YATE

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 March 17 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There is a Will 1731 Ann Hough of Westerleigh,
She leaves her house and paddock to cousins Joseph Hales and Benjamin Hales.
Little house she built for Jane Gough and Hannah Hales junior if sick or lame for them to rent out share and share alike.
It seems Hannah Hales and Jane Gough are her cousins who get certain wearing apparel
Her brothers John Goughand Daniel Gough 1 shilling
To brother Joseph Hales her household goods to enjoy for life.
Will made 1729.

So the families are connected in some way by 1729.

In 22.3.1735 it looks like the Joseph Hales mentioned above ,a coal miner dies intestate and his estate goes to his widow Hannah Hales(presumably Hannah Hale snr).

Ciderdrinker

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 March 17 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I know the child I believe is the descendant of Joseph Hale and Katherine Gough nee ??---Joseph Gough, had all of his children in Westerleigh and the majority of them were given the last name Hale-Gough before they dropped the Gough going by Hale.  I don't currently have a marriage for Joseph, but 8 children's christening records starting in 1718--which if he is the child mentioned in the bastardy bond would have made him 24. I wonder if when Joseph was married he went by Hale too, if there is only one Gough marrying in that time span unless he married outside Westerleigh & came back.  Then this would also mean that Whomever was Katherine's husband most likely married her outside Westerleigh too.

I purchased the will, which is difficult to read and a combination of latin/english.  It appears William Gough married someone whose name looks like Anne and they had 4 children: John, Marie, Margaret and Samuell.  At the time John and Margaret had 2 children (unnamed).  I'm assuming that Samuell is one of the deaths that I found--I would think Oct 1688--but I can't think of a way to find the age of the deceased.

Thanks again for the help.
Nich

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 March 17 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ciderdrinker.  I have that will too, but wasn't quite sure how to connect everyone yet.

Joseph and Katherine's son Joseph had the following children: Francis, Joseph, Charles, Thomas, Benjamin, Hannah, Ann, and Isaac. At first I thought these were the Joseph, Benjamin and Hannah mentioned in the will as cousins.  The brother is what threw me some--was this Katherine's son Joseph? If so then why list the children as cousins?  Then I realized that all of these children would be so very young to inherit such materials--12, 4 and 2.

I think it's very possible that John and Daniel Gough are brother's from Katherine's marriage to ?? Gough and then the Joseph is her half brother.

The question comes to Hannah Hales as a cousin as well....Joseph Hales the first married Hannah Evens in 1717.  If they had a daughter Hannah why cousins to Ann Gough?

This puzzle of questions is why I have been trying to find the marriage for Katherine as so many baptisms only list the father's name. I found an Ann Gough and John Gough who were siblings in Bristol, but the mother's name is not Katherine (given on the Ann's record) and I can't see a Daniel of any spelling that would match.

thanks again for your help with the twisted puzzle.
Nich

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 March 17 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just a thought but have you looked at the Hearth Tax for Gloucestershire and seen if there are any Goughs listed for Westerleigh?

There also seems to be marriages for Westerleigh on Boyds marriage index .It supposedly starts at 1660 but no Goughs until 1700 but I checked and there are others in the parish so presumable somewhere there are parish records from 1660.

Finally in case you don't have the 1649 Will for William Gough ,he has a wife Jn?,children Margaret,Marie,John and Samuel.

All the best
Ciderdrinker

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 March 17 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I'll see if I can check those out.  I did get the will.  I thought that was the wife's name too at first but if you look before that it says "Anne my wife." :)

I appreciate it!
Nich