Author Topic: Katherine Gough/Goff Westerleigh 1693  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Katherine Gough/Goff Westerleigh 1693
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 March 17 14:17 GMT (UK) »
One way to form earlier family groups is to use....

Men in Armour for Gloucestershire 1608 - which lists all able bodied men fit to fight - giving their approximate age and stature and occupation and what they are 'fit for'  The website also gives population tables from 1801 every ten years - which is very useful.  You could then cross-check to see if any-one left a Will i.e. **Giles GOUGH of  Michinhampton, Clothier, left a Will in 1666)

http://www.coaley.net

Searching for GOUGH - the surname doesn't appear as GOFF at all, just GOUGH or GOUGHE (approx 23 listed)

The youngest age of those given - appears to be aged around 40 - some on the West side of the River Severn - others on the Right hand side - and a couple up on Gloucester & around Cirencester.

At least this gives some idea where the GOUGH's were living.

MITCHELDEAN - has two men : Thomas GOUGH and his son JAMES)
LITTLEDEAN - one man : John GOUGH
COLEFORD - one man : John GOUGH
HEWLESFIELD - one man George GOUGHE and wife listed Mrs Mary GOUGH
WESTBURY ON SEVERN - one man : William GOUGH
WOOLASTON - - 3 lists (George, William inc one WarrenGOUGHE from Huerffild)
ALLASTON (Lydney parish)  - one man : Thomas GOUGH
PURTON (Lydney parish) - one man : William GOUGH
BROMSBERROW (Newent) - one man : Anthony GOUGH
LONGHOPE -  one man : William GOUGHE
HUNTLEY - one man : Thomas GOUGH
CHELTENHAM - one man : Thomas GOUGH
SLIMBRIDGE - one man : John GOUGHE
ASHLEWORTH - one man : John GOUGHE
ALVESTON (South Glos, Thornbury) - one man : John GOUGH
OLVESTON (South Glos, Thornbury) - one man : Henry GOUGHE
CIRENCESTER - one man : Nicholas GOUGH
MINCHINHAMPTON (Stroud) - two men : **Gyles GOUGH and William GOUGH
NETHER LYPIATT (In Thrupp parish, Stroud) - one man i.e. Samuell GOUGHE - who seems to have a couple of servants)

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 March 17 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I have not heard of the source before and think I'll have to use it to track down some others.  :)

The only reason I'm trying to trace back the Gough is to see if I can find Katherine's husband. It was my hope that by tracking down a possible husband I could nail down a marriage and thus a maiden name for her. She's a rather stubborn brick wall and I only have a rough estimate of a death as I don't see a second marriage either and am currently going with she died as a Gough.

Thanks again for all the help!
Nich
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline pffog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 October 17 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, the timeframe may a bit too early, but there is a "Widow Gough" noted in the 1671 hearth tax for Minchinhampton in Longtree Hundred. There's also a Joseph Gough in this same area in 1672 and a William Gough in 1672 in Rodborrow.

You may also want to look at www.goff-gough.com, which has over 30 years of newsletters for this family association online. Hope the above helps.

Offline squishmich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 August 19 16:26 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of Hannah Hale Gough. I'm trying to find any information regarding Hannah's father Joseph Gough (and I have absolutely nothing on her mother). I also have a list of Joseph's children dating from 1718-1735. I have limited information regarding Katherine Gough but I have seen the basterly bond with Joseph Hale. Have you been able to find anymore information regarding Katherine's family or prior husband?

So I did find one source that suggested that Joseph Hale was married to Mary Cooke (from Hartpury) but then had a relationship with Katherine, but I'm not 100% sure how correct this source is.

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 August 19 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I descend from her brother Isaac. Unfortunately I don’t have anything solid on Katherine’s previous family/husband. Things currently seem to great of a distance.

I have Joseph Hale married to a Hannah Evans in 1717 but no current wife for his and Katherine’s son Joseph Gough. If I finds anything solid I’ll pass it on.
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,