Author Topic: Weston /Pentland  (Read 863 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Weston /Pentland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Jane, The father of your Catherine Pentland (born 29-6-1782 bpt 1-7-1782 St Cuthberts to John Pentland & Margaret Thomson) was John Pentland a mason - this is shown in her 1782 baptism record as well as her 1803 marriage record which proves her parentage. There was other Catherine Pentland around at the same time in Edinburgh - her father was John Pentland a coachmaker and she married twice (and until now was thought to be h/o Margaret Thomson: no longer!).

It's been asserted that John Pentland (the mason and h/o Margaret Thomson) was bpt 11 Jan 1744 Duddingston s/o Robert Pentland & Catherine Livingston. You'll find the couple had moved to Canongate, Edinburgh by 1749, so this could be right.

My Pentland line, involving umpteen John Pentlands, in essence is based either side of the Liberton/Newton boundary at Little France and Pentecox, with antecedants back, perhaps, to Inveresk and Dalkeith, so we're in the same ballpark. My own Pentland line ended up as tenant farmers at Little France, previously carters back in 1780s, and before that maybe coal miners or overseers but things get very confused (although all variations lead back to my earliest: John Pentland & Chrystian Swan in Dalkeith & Inveresk in 1640s). I have your John Pentland & Margaret Thom(p)son on file but with no seeming connection to mine.

Is my first para consistent with your findings?

Hope that helps!

- Catharine Pentland b Saturday 29-6-1782 bpt 1-7-1782 St Cuthberts to John Pentland mason in Nicholson's Street & Margt Thomson
- Cath Pentland (d/o John Pentland Mason Edn) & Peter Weston of the Artilary: marriage: 27 Jul 1803 Canongate

Offline Jane190

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Weston /Pentland
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 March 17 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your answers . I think all of you have the right Catherine Pentland and it help me to search further back:-)

Best regards ,

Jane
SMITH-Worth,Cuckfield/Sussex
COOPER-Heston,Harmondsworth/Middlesex
PATTENDEN- Sussex
FULLER- Worth /Sussex
UNDERWOOD-Chertsey/Surrey
JONES- Chertsey
BRIDDIST-Chertsey
BERRYMAN-Chertsey
HOWARD-Chertsey
TAYLOR-Hilmarton/Wiltshire