Author Topic: Tallemache family from Surrey, plus Overbury and Hockley  (Read 8316 times)

Offline dover sole

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tallemache family from Surrey, plus Overbury and Hockley
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 19 October 17 08:09 BST (UK) »
Dear Amondg
Many thanks for the last information re Elizabeth Chitty etc.
Brilliant - explains a great deal.
Will post separate question re Tallemachs and Longs in same tomb.
Regards
Dover Sole

Offline dover sole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 19 October 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help solve the mystery of why John Tallemach (son of Richard, brother of Richard, died 1800), his brother William (died 1806) and his daughter Eleanor Clark Tallemach (died 1800) are buried in the same tomb as John Long (1768-1834) and his first wife Phillipa (died 1834) and second wife Elizabeth Allaway in the churchyard of St.Peter's Petersham.
In a footnote in the parish record for the burial of John Tallemach it states he was buried in the tomb of the Tallemach family.
On the outside of the tomb there is an inscription 'This tomb belongs to John Long,1826'.
It is highly unusual according to the parish archivist for unrelated families to be buried together in the same tomb.
The only link I can find between the two families is both Johns were carpenters and John Tallemach rented for a while a property (carpenter's shop) from Mrs.Long.
With thanks from
Dover Sole

Offline Rathlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone go back later than Richard Tallemache 1700-1776 (married to Mary Bickford). I am trying to firstly extend the family tree but also find if and how they may be related to the Tallemaches of Ham House as they reside in the same area of Petersham. Thanks

Offline dover sole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 13:39 GMT (UK) »
I too am trying to find out more about Richard ie his father and mother d as well.
I know his father was a surveyor and made maps of estates in Suffolk near Helmingham Hall. There is mention about Tallmachs in Suffolk. Very confusing as there are so may spellings of the Tollermache surname.
My theory is Richard was a very distant relative -poor relation or even illegitimate.
He was employed by the 4th Earl of Dysart at Ham House as estate manager and often travelled to the family home Helmingham Hall on estate business.  As a trusted employee I am convinced of his relationship with the Tollermache. 
Still on the case.

Offline Rathlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that but I am trying to find out more about Richard Tallemache 1700-1776, the surveyor. I would also like to know more about his ancestry ie prior to 1700.  Are there still records around from this time in England?