Author Topic: Help interpreting RAF WW2 Service Records  (Read 9987 times)

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help interpreting RAF WW2 Service Records
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 19:28 BST (UK) »
Bill,

Looking back over your quest to find his training location -I'm not sure your understanding of technical level is correct for that corresponding to his changing RAF role.

The RAF as a technical service was divided into trade groups where roles of similar skill level were combined. Pay was determined by not only rank but also trade group.

The most skilled trade group was I or 1 and the least skilled V or 5.

His first mustering was  ACH / Radio Op 5.  31/7/40 ie Group 5

Other example trades in this group were Driver MT, Pigeon Keeper, Batman, Parachute Packer, Telephone Operator. All trades that did not have a formal training school but were instructed on the task.

His next mustering was Radio op 4 .    15/8/40 ie Group 4

Example trades in Group 4 were Teleprinter Operator, Equipment Assistant, Clerk (All types), Radio Telephony Operator (eg no Morse - voice procedure only)

Group 3 was fabric workers, cook butcher, shoe maker, balloon riggers etc.

It was not until after three years on the job training that he reached Group 2 - Radar Op 2. 2/9/43

Also in Group 2 were Flight Mechanics, Wireless/Radio Operators, armourer etc.

To complete the story in case others are wondering Grade 1 included Fitters, Wireless Mechanics, Radio mechanics, Blacksmith and welder.

To sum up his training was not formal in a class room but gradual improvement of knowledge and skill over several years moving him from repetitive action only to understanding the underlying principles and able to swap out equipment modules but not including the skills necessary for component fault finding and repair.

Regards
Ross

Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline Early Radar

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help interpreting RAF WW2 Service Records
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 August 19 15:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you to Ross and everyone who has posted here - it has really helped me begin to understand my grandfather's service records from WW2, where I believe he was involved with early radar in SW Cornwall.

Could anyone please help me decipher a few abbreviations which I have not found listed, and add some meaning to some of the phrases used?

Under 'miscellaneous' on Form 543

Med Cat - Two (I'm guessing this indicates medical limitations as he was colour blind and had a heart defect)

Qualified EVT instructor

Recat Grade III

Under the 'Unit moved to' column of the 'Unit movement' form:

1 Wg ?? school (writing partly obscured)

3wlS.S

Also, abbreviations 'DD' and 'F' in the 'reason for movement' column

Some entries are struck through and marked Cancelled P/O - what does this indicate?

And finally, he is shown as moved to Stn St Eval and then Stn Portreath, where the form suggests he spends most of WW2. However, we know that he spent most of WW2 at Chain home low / extra low sites at RAF Pen Olver and RAF Chapel Carn Brae, neither of which are shown on the form. Were these regarded as part of a posting to Portreath?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Richard.