Author Topic: JAMES THOMSON b. 1796 in Avondale, Lanarkshire  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: JAMES THOMSON b. 1796 in Avondale, Lanarkshire
« Reply #54 on: Monday 20 March 17 20:40 GMT (UK) »
One of the listings in the 'Community Contributed' International Genealogical Index for the baptism of Janet Thomson in 1777 says that she was born at Easter Glentore, New Monkland. Normally I would not trust as far as I could throw an overweight lead hammer anything in the 'Community Contributed' IGI.

If, however, after looking up the original of the baptism on Scotland's People, it turns out that Janet's parents were 'of' Easter Glentore in 1777, there is a listing in the Index to the Register of Sasines for Lanarkshire that may be of interest.

Thomson, Andrew, portioner of Easter Glentore, wright, Airdrie, XVIII.140; XXI. 42, 181
Thomson, Andrew, portioner of Easter Glentore, son of James T, portioner there, XIV. 4, 121, 333
Thomson, James, portioner of Easterglentore, XIII.426
Thomson, James, portioner of Easterglentore, son of Andrew Thomson, portioner there, XIV.333; XVI, 367; XVIII.140; XX.482
Vol XIII is from 1721 to 1729. Vol XIV 1729-1745. XVI, 1751-1760. XVIII, 1766-1769.

Then in the earlier book
Thomson, James, portioner of Easter Glentore, son of James T there and of Bogsyde, IX.384; XI. 475; XII. 369 (bis); XIII.36: his spouse, see Margaret Dick
Dick, Margaret, daughter of John D in Midlequarter, and spouse of James Thomson, son of James T in Bogsyd IX.384.
Vol IX, 1688-1693; XI, 1699-1709. XII, 1709-1719. XIII, 1719-1720.

James Thomson and Margaret Dick had at least three sons baptised in New Monkland: John 1694; Andrew 1696 and Matthew 1698. There's also a Thomas baptised in Leith in 1704 either to the same parents or to a couple with the same names. 

There are almost certainly later sasines referring to Andrew Thomson of Easter Glentore, but the printed index books only go to 1780. After that you have to access the information in the Historical Search Room in Edinburgh.

I cannot stress enough that before you attempt to tackle the sasines, you must check all the baptisms to see where the parents' residence was.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 20 March 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Take your point about the title.

Tried to upload pdf of death cert but it's too big! Is there another way to share this?
Now I see James's father is a Wright - a joiner of the time

Thank you for your message though I've idea about Sasines etc! ill need to read up.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 20 March 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I wonder where Peter and brother James are depicted on the painting
I have a copy of the painting on a CD and I thought it included details of who is who - I've certainly seen such a list somewhere.

Forfarian, there is a photo from the painting on the link I posted earlier http://curlinghistory.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/the-curlers-at-rawyards.html  From this, you can see small name plaques for the people included in the painting on the mount of the painting. There is also a written summary included of the names.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 20 March 17 21:51 GMT (UK) »

Id love to find more of that and to work out what may have contributed to  Peter being a baker employing staff in 2 census and then to be a Wool Weaver in  the next (1871 i think).

Likely you will find that Peter was not a simple weaver. Given his father had been a weaving agent, I would think it likely that Peter may have had a small weaving business of some kind perhaps. The 1881 census shows a likely second marriage for Peter:

Peter Thomson 61 Wool Weaver (Employing 2 Men & 1 Woman) b. Airdrie
Mary Thomson 38 wife b. Airdrie
Margt Wardrop 15 boarder Cotton Mill Worker b. Airdrie
Mary Thomson 7 Months daughter b. Airdrie

Address: 10 Commonside St, Airdrie

Peter, wife Mary and daughter Mary at the same address in 1891.

There is a possible entry in the 1896 Post Office Directory for Airdrie showing a Peter Thomson of 10 Commonside St, Airdrie, a manufacturer by occupation. http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=85535138

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 20 March 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage for Peter Thomson in 1876 in Airdrie/New Monkland area. Bride a Mary Wilson.

Peter's death cert in 1900 should name both wives, if the informant knew this info.

Monica

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 20 March 17 22:08 GMT (UK) »
thats good information as always However it is the census 1871 which calls Peter a wool weave after having been a baker with employees before then.

Now ive got the death cert of Janet Thomson - his first wife who died in 1872 , maybe she was ill so Peter had to give up the baker or am I being romantic in what were very practical times maybe? I dont know how else to explain it.

Found Peter with his second wife Mary nee Wilson age 61 with a 7 mnth old daughter also Mary.

This is all too interesting, I need to give up work!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 20 March 17 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Thumbelina has sent me James Thomson's 1855 death cert to post snippets on here. I think the main section that needs a few eyes is his cause of death.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 20 March 17 22:18 GMT (UK) »
The rest of the entry reads:

James Thomson, weaving agent, aged 64 years. Born in Glasgow, lived in Airdrie 60 years.

Parents Andrew Thomson, wright and Agnes Thomson, maiden name Aitken, both deceased.

Children: Jane, deceased. Agnes, deceased. Peter 36 years old. James 33 years old.

Died 6 May 1855 at 3.00pm at 70 Aitcheson Street.

Buried at New Monkland Church Yard.

Certified by son Peter Thomson, the informant.

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 20 March 17 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Depression of System from Over Fatigue and Suppression of Urine, 4 days. As certified by Thomas Torrance who saw Deceased on 6th May.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.