Author Topic: Yorkstone & O'keeffe marriage  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Oneday

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yorkstone & O'keeffe marriage
« on: Tuesday 07 March 17 03:14 GMT (UK) »
I have found a marriage between a Jemima Dunlop Yorkstone & Thomas O'Keeffe in Nov 1922 Edinburgh Scotland.

I am wanting to confirm more information about Thomas O'Keeffe to see if it's the correct person.

The Thomas I am looking for was born in December 1896 in Waterford Ireland.

There appears to be many Thomas O'Keeffe's & if anyone could assist with this confirmation I would appreciate it.

I can supply more information about Thomas if required.  I don't have much on Jemima.

Thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Yorkstone & O'keeffe marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in a few credits at a cost of 25p per credit, search the indexes there and use 6 credits (£1.50) to download an image of the marriage certificate. It will tell you the full names of both sets of parents, including the mothers' maiden surnames.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Oneday

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your response.

I am looking to try to find out if it is the same person.

Surely there must be a way of finding out without endless spending of money???

I am happy to order certificates when I have sufficient proof of a person.

I have limited means as do others & other sites provide enough detail to give you the idea whether or not a person can be ruled in or out.  This is all I'm after.

Thanks for your response once again.

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 18:39 GMT (UK) »

Unfortunately there is no other way but to buy the cert. I am in the same boat as yourself have very limited

means I don't buy credits I wait until I have lots I want to verify   and visit either GROS in Edinburgh or Mitchell Library in Glasgow pay £15:00 for a day at one of them it's amazing how much information I can find in approximately seven hours .
I am sure  others will agree researching your family can be a very expensive hobby .
Maybe if you ask nicely a fellow "Rooter " will do a look up for you .

Jessie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Surely there must be a way of finding out without endless spending of money???
Unfortunately there is no way of getting this information without someone spending (or, if you are extremely lucky, someone already having spent) some money. And £1.50 is less than the cost of a cup of coffee or a half pint of beer.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
That 1922 marriage was for Thomas Francis O'keeffe.

Looks like Jemima Dunlop Yorkstone died 1924 , age 27 , George Square Midlothian  :(

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 March 17 17:48 GMT (UK) »
What is £1.50 when you can pay more on a train journey? 

So here goes.  4th November 1922 at 53 George IV Bridge, by declaration in presence of Janet Yorkstone and Alice Yorkstone  of 31 Bowling Green Street, Leith.  Thomas , Corporal, Royal Army Service Corp aged 25 based at Leith Fort, Leith and Jemima aged 26 of 31 Bowling Green Street. Parents William O'Keeffe, Mechanical Engineer and Bridget Henrick.     William Yorkstone, Saddler Alice Gordon.   http://www.leithlocalhistorysociety.org.uk/fortifications/leith_fort.htm

Jemima death, Thomas was an Engineering Draughtsman, they were at 285 Leith Walk, cause Chronic Endocarditis of Aortic Valve (7 years).   Sudden Heart Failure.     

Offline Oneday

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 December 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  It's been a while since I checked the responses.

Thanks so much for the information.

I do appreciate it.  What makes it harder for me is I live in Australia & unless online ability is available visiting is not on my agenda within anytime soon.