Author Topic: James Orman/Ormerod of Campfield, Bowness-on-Solway  (Read 1183 times)

Offline RosemaryO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Orman/Ormerod of Campfield, Bowness-on-Solway
« on: Tuesday 07 March 17 08:29 GMT (UK) »
James was born about 1800 and married an Elizabeth around 1824, they had children who were born in Bowness, the abode of James when his children were baptised was Campfield and Cardurnock. I am looking for any information about James and Elizabeth please, especially their baptism and marriage dates. Many thanks  :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: James Orman/Ormerod of Campfield, Bowness-on-Solway
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Do you have them on any census?  I can't find anything in 1841 or 1851 matching the profile for James in Cumberland or anywhere else
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline RosemaryO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 16:17 GMT (UK) »
I believe that James died in 1840 and Elizabeth may have gone to Carlisle. I have the baptisms for their children: Isabella Ormerod bap. 12 Dec 1824 Bowness on Solway, abode Campfield; John Ormerod bap. 25 Aug 1826 Bowness (John may be my great-great-grandfather); William bap. 22 Nov 1829 Bowness, abode Cardurnock; Robert bap. 19 July 1832 Maryport; Peter bap. 22 July 1838 Bowness; and Hannah bap. 22 July 1838 Bowness.
I would like to know if there are any records for James Orman/Ormerod/Ormond born about 1800, and whether he married Elizabeth at Bowness. I can find an Elizabeth Orman in Carlisle for 1841 census, but I'm not sure if she's the one.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 19:48 GMT (UK) »
I can find an Elizabeth Orman in Carlisle for 1841 census, but I'm not sure if she's the one.

I cannot see that entry.  How old is she?  Are any of the children with her - I would have expected William, Robert, Peter and Hannah to be with her given their birthyears
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline RosemaryO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I found an entry for Elizabeth Orman age 30, Fishmonger, Robert age 9 and Isabella age 15, residing at 5 Botchergate, Carlisle in 1841. There are plenty of Orman's in Carlisle but I'm not sure if they belong to the same family as the Ormerods of Bowness. My great-great-grandfather is John Orman (Ormen)born in Bowness, Cumberland about 1826/7. He joined the Army and had moved south to Windsor by 1851. His father's name is James Ormen and he is a farm servant at the time of John's marriage to Maria Barber in 1857.

Offline RosemaryO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
William died in 1830 and Peter in 1840. No sign of Hannah.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 00:27 GMT (UK) »
No wonder I couldn't find the 1841 entry - Ancestry have them transcribed as Cemen!!!

Offline RosemaryO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Ahh that would explain why I couldn't find them on Ancestry either - I came across them on Findmypast.
Thanks Carole