Author Topic: British Army service in India/Mesopotamia? Any help appreciated!x  (Read 1569 times)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: British Army service in India/Mesopotamia? Any help appreciated!x
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 14:44 GMT (UK) »
The problem with the RA is that it was under constant re-organisation with Batteries being broken up & re-numbered. As they fought at Brigade or Divisional level without that information you can't place where he was but there's nothing to say he wasn't in Mesopotamia.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British Army service in India/Mesopotamia? Any help appreciated!x
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 14:45 GMT (UK) »
In expansion of what friends have so expertly found so far:

Men of the Royal Field Artillery served in all theatres of war and there were (haven't counted them all!)  1500 or so batteries in which he might have served, many of which were in India and/or Mesopotamia (present day Iraq mostly).  So as far as specific information is concerned, that is likely to be it I'm afraid.

More generally, his service in India would have been on garrison duties rather than fighting.  The campaign in Mesopotamia is covered here  http://www.1914-1918.net/mespot.htm.  There would have been RFA units in most if not all of the 8 Indian Divisions and the one British Division that took part.  That division had six RFA brigades each with 3 or 4 batteries and he could have been in any of the Indian divisions that had RFA brigades so I fear it is needle in the haystack time.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia