Author Topic: Rootschat 'New' Feature  (Read 11918 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rootschat 'New' Feature
« on: Tuesday 07 March 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Something new?

If you select 'Home' from the top bar you come to 'Forum Genealogy topics Right Now' - that is, the new topics just posted and being discussed.

Select any of them from anywhere on the list, and the first four topics on that list appear below the poster's post, separated by a pale line. Often this is where an ad might be shown. I was confused at first and thought it was the posters research surnames or areas of personal interest.

It's quite dominant on the page, and in a larger font than the rest of the text. I am not 100% but it looks like it might be in blue rather than black (or maybe it is my eyes or monitor playing tricks with me).

I am curious to know what this is for and if it will be a permanent 'feature'.

Is everyone else seeing this too?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Rootschat 'New' Feature
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Your comp isn't playing tricks, I've noticed it too in the last week at least but not sure when it appeared?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes Ruskie, It is showing at the top & bottom of the page as I read your post.   ;D

I am not sure that I like it as it blends in with the name of the 'board'   I quite liked the adds as they reminded me to look at something that I probably had given up searching for in favour of coming on rootschat like this morning when I had been looking for something on ebay.  :D

ADDED - after posting this it is now only at the bottom of your post & the add is at the top  ;D  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, well spotted.

It's a new feature that allows us to show latest topics in the spaces on the page.

I'd ask people, please, to not discuss the ads that are shown on the site.

The feature comes and goes, depending on the time of day, and on what topic you might have come from (or to).

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 14:45 GMT (UK) »
You are all very quick off the mark in replying to this.

Glad it is not just me.  ;)

I only noticed it this evening (my time) but I haven't spent quite as much time RC as I usually do over the past couple of days, so may have missed it when it first appeared.

I spend most of my time on the "home page", so I see the latest topics under discussion there.  :)

Added: I do prefer the threads with illustrations at the bottom of the page though I don't click on them as often as I used to do when this was a new feature, because most of them are quite old topics.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
The feature has been around for "above" the topic for a little while (over a week), but comes and goes. It's been added to within the post and the bottom of the post only today. I'm still messing around with a bit, so it might change in the mean time. :)

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm liking it - the 4 latest ones appearing above the topic I am currently reading.

Means I can quickly see if any of the threads I am currently working on have been added to, so I can nip straight back to them after doing whatever on the current thread, without having to go back to "new replies" to check each time.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 14:54 GMT (UK) »
The feature has been around for "above" the topic for a little while (over a week), but comes and goes. It's been added to within the post and the bottom of the post only today. I'm still messing around with a bit, so it might change in the mean time. :)

Trystan

I thought you might say that Trystan.  ;)  ;D

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 14:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm liking it - the 4 latest ones appearing above the topic I am currently reading.

Means I can quickly see if any of the threads I am currently working on have been added to, so I can nip straight back to them after doing whatever on the current thread, without having to go back to "new replies" to check each time.

I just hit the Home button (rather than "new replies") after posting or reading any other threads. :)