Author Topic: William Wells - Boscastle/Padstow  (Read 7207 times)

Offline frogmorelodge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Wells - Boscastle/Padstow
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 30 March 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashley

Thanks for that. One thing troubles me - that you make no mention of Richard.

If we accept that George was the son of Charles Jenkyn(s) and Maria(h) England, and that Charles was baptised 20/2/1774 at Padstow, OPC Cornwall has the parents at that baptism as Richard     Jenkyns and "Eliza." presumably Elizabeth. There are two candidates for Richard - both in St Ives, one baptised 23/1/1749 and the other (Jenkyn) baptised 31/12/1747. But a burial of Richard, son of Charles is recorded in 1748 so I have favoured the later Richard, adooting the dead son's name. The Elizabeth I take to be Elizabeth Flamanke with the marriage on 18/11/1771 at St Ives.

Both these Richards appear to stem from the marriage in Phillack 30/3/1747 of Mr Charles Jenkin of St Ives and Margery Hicks.

There are three St Ives candidates (and some non-local outliers) for this Charles Jenkin: Charles Jenkyn baptised 17/1/1719, Charles Jenking baptised 2/3/1721 and Charles Jenken baptised 25/3/1724. One of these Charles was buried in 1720 which suggests the 1719 birth, although the transcriber has the parents of the buried child as Charles and Amy, and they are the parents of the 1724 birth.

Regards
David

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 30 March 17 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi David

I don't accept that it is the 1774 baptism at all.  I think it is the 1773 baptism in Padstow with parents Charles and Elizabeth

All the best

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frogmorelodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 27 April 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashley,

My apologies for not responding earlier to your post - arrival of a new Wells grandson has proved rather distracting....

I think I misinterpreted your earlier post. You said that in the 1841 census Charles and Maria Jenkyn nee England have a son with them called Charles who was baptised in Padstow. Are you referring to the census entry for Dunn Street of Charles Jenkin, Innkeeper? That's the only one I could find with a son Charles listed.

The difficulty I then have is that the younger Charles is shown in the census as age 35 which means he was born c. 1806 but I find no matching baptism in Padstow or the Boscastle area, on either FindMyPast or on the OPC Cornwall site,  so I am at a loss to find the link you refer to. Also, if Charles is 35, is he definitely a son? Or could he be a relative working for the family in the Inn?

If you could kindly shed some light on how you established the link I would be grateful.

Thanks
David

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 04 May 17 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Congratulations on the addition to the family.

I'm not sure why you can't find this one - I've just checked on the Cornwall OPC

Charles age in the 1841 suggests a birth between 1801 and 1806.  The baptism in on 30 Dec 1802 in Padstow - Charles Jenkins, son of Charles and Maria.

All the best

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frogmorelodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 04 May 17 12:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ashley,
I had thought that was too big an age discrepancy. I guess now I'm further back in time I must expect more uncertainty re ages!

I will try to carve out some more time to progress back farther.

Regards
David

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 04 May 17 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi David

The 1841 census rounded ages to the nearest 5 downwards. Also most people were not literate so could not spell their own names and some often did not know their year of birth

At least you have broken the barrier between Wells and Jenkyn. Enjoy the journey

Ashley

Offline frogmorelodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 04 May 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ashley,

I wasn't aware of the 1841 rounding down.

Regards
David

Offline frogmorelodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 14:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Ashley (and all),

Could I ask for a lead please on the Wells/Jenk(yn) Family Ashley and I have both been researching. I’ve just picked this up again after an enforced break and I’m a bit stuck.
Working backwards, this is what I have in the main line:

William Wells (Jenkyn) b 1834/35 Forrabury
George Jenkyn b c.1806 m Mary Wills 1831 Forrabury
Charles Jenkyn (Jenkins) b 1773 Padstow m Maria(h) England 1797
Charles Jenkins of St Ives b 1752 m Elizabeth Cooper, widow of Padstow 1772
Charles Jenkyn (Jenken, Jenkin) b 1724 St Ives m Honor Paynter 1743
Charles Jenken b ???? m Amy Quick St Ives 1718
Charles Jenken b 1695 St Ives, wife?
Charles Jenken m Grace Richards? 1685 St Ives

Now, if we concur on that, I have difficulty with the next generation back. Charles and Grace I believe had 4 children in this order: Thomas, Honor, Grace and Charles. I’m therefore thinking that the first son’s grandfather may also be  “Thomas” which leaves many possibilities, none of which appear to be at St. Ives.
Could you help me get unstuck please?

By the way Ashley, how far did you get back? Did you resolve the riddle of William Wells’s two wives?

Thanks for your help.
David Wells

Offline frogmorelodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 15:12 BST (UK) »
PS. And none of the candidate Thomas’s seem to have baptised a child named Charles! So I may be barking up the wrong tree!