Author Topic: Aghadowey / shanlongford / Mckeever  (Read 11977 times)

Offline amcg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aghadowey / shanlongford / Mckeever
« Reply #63 on: Monday 20 March 17 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Ref Reply #53 I didn't notice that Mary Ann's brother George is living with her in 1910 US Census. He gives his DOB as October 1855. He dies in 1939 in Elmira, Stark, Illinois, USA. He is a bachelor. His birthplace on the death record I found is recorded as Garvagh.

So that's another sibling for the list in Reply #48.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 20 March 17 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Well spotted. I hadn't really explored the American records.

New revised list-      ** to America
John McKeever (d.1911) m.(1842) Elizabeth “Betty” Cochrane (d.1905)
1. James McKeever** (1843-1930) m. Ellen Foster
2. Sarah McKeever (c1846-1848)
3. John/William John/William McKeever (Dec.1848-1881)
4. Eliza McKeever (June 1853-aft.1921)
5. George McKeever** (Oct.1855-1939)
6. Mary A. McKeever** (c1859) m. Alexander Forbes
7. David McKeever (Mar.1863) m. Ellen Kelly (c1874-1914) 
8. Daniel McKeever (1865 Belraugh-1911), unm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Cjmck2608

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 20 March 17 11:10 GMT (UK) »
We can also confirm David & Ellen's son - Daniel Mckeever b.1899 married Elizabeth mcclung/ (Cunningham - previous marriage) 1942 in ballentrae (ayrshire) - died 1945 in mauchline hospital (east ayrshire)

Only margaret to trace!!

I hope I've got that right amcg  ;D

Offline RichardinMichigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 04 May 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
Regarding the Robert Cochran(e) of Leck that Aghadowey mentioned in the 1831 census.  He leased 28 acres of land (see Griffith's Valuation and Valuation Revision records) in Leck and died there May 20, 1872, aged 70 (born ca. 1801/02).  Interestingly, the Y-DNA results (111 markers) of Robert's great great grandson who currently lives in Coleraine are just in and he shows a genetic distance of 1 (gd=1) to a great great great grandson (residing in Colorado) of another Robert Cochran(e) of Burren More, Dunboe Parish (1805-1888) who immigrated to America in the late 1830's. 

My Cochrane ancestors were settled in the townlands immediately south of the River Roe from Limavady (Moys, Deer Park, Ballymore) by the year 1805 but in 1921 a relative of ours visited Limavady and learned from old cousins that the family originally came from the "Macosquin district."   One of our Limavady relatives, Margaret Ann Cochrane (1850-1920) married Robert Pollock of Leck and both died there. 

The DNA test results of Robert Cochrane's great great grandson shows he has a genetic distance of 3  compared to members of my Limavady relatives -- a bit more remote than our Colorado cousin, but all it does mean we are all descended from the same eastern-County Londonderry Cochrane clan.

Richard Cochran, Big Rapids, Michigan

Offline Johnsderry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there everybody I am new to this website.

I am a 19 year old from Derry City and have been researching my family tree. I have found out that my great grandmother was Margaret (Maggie Jane) Boyce whos mother was Eliza Ann Boyce (McKeever) who married Thomas Boyce in 1896. On the marriage record it states that maggies father was John McKeevor from Curragh , I'm sure this is the john mckeevor born in Curragh in 1848 mentioned above.

Are these people mentioned in this forum related to my ancestors? If so can somebody simply connect the dots for me?

Thanks in advance.

John.

Offline amcg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I assume your great grandmother to be Margaret Jane Boyce who married Michael Convery.

This being the case - her parents - as you said are Thomas Boyce and Eliza Anne McKeever. Eliza Anne's mother is Eliza McKeever (1853-1925) - daughter of John and Betty McKeever of Shanlongford - the couple to which this thread refers!

Eliza's baptism is on 16th March 1853 in St. Mary's Church, Ballerin. Her parents are listed as John McKeever & Elizabeth Cochran. Her sponsors are J O'Doherty (pp) & Margaret Black.

This connection is made using the 1901 and 1911 NI Census - Thomas and Eliza Anne's daughter Eliza Boyce is found on the 1911 Census living with her Grandmother Eliza McKeever at house 9 Shanlongford. However, Eliza McKeever states she is 65 years old and single!

I hope this helps to join the dots for you.

Offline Johnsderry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 12 October 17 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there AMCG

Yes , Margaret Boyce would be my great grandmother.

I have seen the record which says that Eliza Anns daughter was living with her grandmother eliza , but I totally forgot and I was led to believe that Eliza Anns parents where john and Elizabeth Cochrane and not her grandparents?

On eliza anns marriage record to Thomas boyce , it states that her father was called john McIvor , I assumed it was him. If Eliza was her mother , then how come she kept her mothers surname? And how come her father was also a john mckeevor mentioned on the marriage record?

Thanks for helping me to solve this.

John.

Offline Cjmck2608

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 27 July 18 21:24 BST (UK) »
Ok so here goes again - my hunt for Maggie May 🙈. The last of my grandfathers siblings to trace. There has to be info somewhere on her 🙉.

I hope you managed to move forward with your search Johnsderry.  If it wasn't for amcg & aghadowey I'd still be spinning in circles.

I hope your all well.

Cjmck - (now cjb) 😉💍

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 27 July 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
This thread is now 8 pages long so perhaps you could explain exactly who Maggie May is/was and any details you have already found (or we've found for you) such as date of birth, parents, last known information, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!