Author Topic: Aghadowey / shanlongford / Mckeever  (Read 11964 times)

Offline Johnsderry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aghadowey / shanlongford / Mckeever
« Reply #81 on: Sunday 19 August 18 00:52 BST (UK) »
I have transcribed the newspaper clipping:

CETENARIAN'S DEATH NEAR COLERAINE

"There has just died at Shanlongford Ringsend , near Coleraine , a labourer named John M'Keever , at the remarkable age of 104 years. Deceased was born in October , 1806 some months after the death of his father. He had many interesting stories to relate appertaining to the district , in which he resided all his life. Deceased retained all his faculties up to a few weeks ago. As late as last year he was a prize winner under the county councils cottage and garden scheme."

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 19 August 18 08:15 BST (UK) »
I always did take his age with a pinch of salt , until I found a local newspaper from 1911 stating he was born in October of 1806 "several months after the death of his father". I'm guessing this makes his age more believable. Sadly it didn't mention his fathers name.
I have not managed to find their marriage record , sadly.

A newspaper report is not prrof that he was 104 years old when he died, especially since he died just after the Old Age Pension was introduced.

In 1901 census he was 88 years old- ten years before he died-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Ringsend/Shanlongford/1516712

I know of another death for a man reportedly around the same age around this same period. He was a joiner and his obituary mentions, amongst other fantasies that he help build the new church. Working it out from his real age (fourtunately there are early record to confirm real age) he was all of three years old when the church was finished!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Cjmck2608

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 19 August 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
I have transcribed the newspaper clipping:

CETENARIAN'S DEATH NEAR COLERAINE

"There has just died at Shanlongford Ringsend , near Coleraine , a labourer named John M'Keever , at the remarkable age of 104 years. Deceased was born in October , 1806 some months after the death of his father. He had many interesting stories to relate appertaining to the district , in which he resided all his life. Deceased retained all his faculties up to a few weeks ago. As late as last year he was a prize winner under the county councils cottage and garden scheme."

A fabulous little piece of information.  Can I ask what newspaper & where you found it.

Thanks you

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 19 August 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
This article or similar appeared in Londonderry Sentinel, 11 Mar.1911.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!