Author Topic: Russian Warms in Manchester  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Warms in Manchester
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 March 17 17:51 GMT (UK) »
In the 1929 Manchester & Salford directory there are:

Mrs Bessie Warm, 9 Haley St, Cheetham Hill
Simon Warm, cap maker, 92 Mary St, Strangeways

You only get one name per household as a rule in the directories, so they can't tell you who else was living at any given address.

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dongdong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
I am the last living offspring of Joseph Warm (1901 -1949) and can fill in some of the history around his movements from Manchester (circa 1933) to Wellingborough and return to peak district Circa 1942). Lived in/near Hayfield but set up own cap factory in Manchester to which he travelled to/from every day. He collapsed at work and died in hospital (Manchester) but address was Hayfield.

Roy G: Thank you for considering sensitivities but there are no issues for me. I believe I know why my mother and he moved to Wellingborough but not exactly when. What is a mystery is exactly when did they move south and more importantly how the first marriage ended - divorce as per the Joseph Warm/Charlotte Olive Evans marriage cert suggests? Yet there are no divorce records I can find. I can find no records of her first husband after their marriage. He could have just disappeared. I would not be surprised if they lived as Mr & Mrs Warm until they actually married in 1940. What is also curious is why they went from Wellingborough to N. Wales to marry. That was not a short trip in those days. I don't know of any connection to No Wales. There would have been the potential embarrassment of 1) She was a divorcee (or not?), 2) there was a child (who actually remembers going to the wedding! and 3 He was marrying out of the [Jewish] faith.

If there is anything you or anyone can add I would be grateful.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Dongdong
Thanks for dropping a line.

It must have been over a year ago that I started this string, and even that was not for me, it was for someone in the USA.  I have to write "someone" because quite honestly, I have forgotten who it was, but I suspect they were from a Jewish Facebook group called TTT (Tracing the Tribe).  I will now have to start looking at my past correspondence to see if I can find them again.

Regards Roy G

Offline Dongdong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
Roy

Sorry to pester you but have you had any luck in terms of remembering anything about whom you did your research for re the 'Russian Warms' in Manchester'?

Regards

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
No you are not pestering, just giving me a getle tap on the shoulder to try to follow it up again..  I will put out some feelers again and get back to you.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
GOT IT
The reason I could not find the entry was that I should not have been looking for research I was doing for someone else, I should have actually been looking for the research I was doing on a Jewish connection to my own Canadian daughter in law’s family line.  The link is certainly not close, but I do hope you find it of interest.  Let’s start from Joseph Warm who was born 1901. 

Birth:   1901
Death:   1949 (48) Prestwich, Greater Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Immediate Family:    Son of Simon Warm and Fagie (Flora?) Warm
Husband of Charlotte Olive Evans - Warm *born Merrington*
Father of Pamela Merrington Bond and Donald Warm
Brother of Fanny (Frances) Warm; Daniel Warm; Morris Warm; Abraham Warm; Ameliia Woolfson; Soloman Warm and Mozes

The grandfather of Charlotte Olive Evans - Warm nee Merrington was John Merrington, 1851 – 1910, who was married to Ann Harrison Britain - Brittiam - Britton
Father of Charlotte (Lottie) Ann Massey; John Henry Merrington and *Sarah Jane Tatman Turner*

My daughter in law was (no, is) the great grand daughter of *Sarah Jane Tatman Turner*

So that’s where she fits, and therefore my interest.  How do you fit?

Regards Roy G

Offline Dongdong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 19 July 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
Roy

Sorry only just got to this as my sytsem didn't alert me to a message though I don't know if is designed to do that?

Thank you so much for this information. It all helps and it is very interesting. I I suppose in some strange way (probably by 'law' as in in-law) we are related via your daughter in law!

I am the youngest son of Joseph Warm (1901-1949) and bother to Pamela Merrington Bond (nee Warm) now deceased. Our eldest bother (now deceased) is Donald Merrington Evans Warm.

You may be interested in my first message (dated 5th June 2018) in this string where I was responding to the exchanges you were having when you were appealing for "Russian Warms in Manchester"

There are a few details in your last message I need to clarify Such as Amelia Woolfson. It appears from your note that she was a sister of Francis, Daniel et al but I think she may have been the related to a Nathanial Woolfson who was married to Millicent Warm(1808-1886) but I cannot be sure as I have not checked any proper records.

It would be easier if we could converse more directly, say be email, but I am not sure how to set that up in confidence. Do you know?

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 19 July 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
Unfortunately I have not paid much attention to the area that interests you.  I was just trying to get the overall picture of my daughter in law's ancestry to put onto the Geni website that I subscribe to.  The tree I created for her only showed Amelia married to Nathan Woolfson (who I presume could also be known as Nathaniel) but I never followed his line back in time any further. 

I therefore feel there will be little additional information that I can contribute to your own investigations, but if you do still wish to contact me outside Rootschat to thrash out a few related issues, please send me a Rootschat PM with your e-mail address so that we can chat more specifically.

Regards Roy G