Author Topic: Robert Jackson, Middleton/Little Heaton  (Read 584 times)

Offline Frost74

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Jackson, Middleton/Little Heaton
« on: Wednesday 08 March 17 01:07 GMT (UK) »
I have come to a halt tracing my mothers side of the family.
My ggg Grandfather is Robert Jackson born 1813/14 in Middleton died 1864 in Rhodes Green. He married Ruth Manning in 1835 and then Harriet Gough in 1848.
His father is named as Thomas Jackson who's occupation was recorded as Husbandman on both his marriage records
I can not find Roberts birth or any information on his father Thomas.
The only Robert Jackson born around that time in Middleton is to a single woman Mary Jackson.
I did send a request in to Bury for Robert's death certificate in the hope more information would be found on there, but they refunded my payment because they couldn't find it.
Any information on this family or a point in the right direction on where to search next will be much appriciated.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Jackson, Middleton/Little Heaton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 02:28 GMT (UK) »
The 1835 marriage does not mention a father:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jnj/

In case you don't have it, here is the 1848 marriage showing a much more confident signature: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jnk/

To order the death certificate from Bury you need to quote PREST/8/49 Alternatively you can order via the GRO www.gro.gov.uk using the information below

JACKSON, ROBERT (age 51)   
GRO Reference: 1864  Jan-Mar  Quarter in MANCHESTER  Volume 8D  Page 328

The baptism of Robert to Mary certainly seems to fit with the census birth place of Little Heaton, and telling fibs on marriage certificates was fairly common so it could be the correct one.  Often the fictitious fathers had a grain of truth in them though - perhaps Mary later married a Thomas, or that was her father's name & occupation, or possibly even the true first name and occupation of the actual father - you would need to do some further research to rule these possibilities in or out.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 03:17 GMT (UK) »
If the 1813 baptism is 'your' Robert then a couple of potential siblings - also baptised at St Leonard, Middleton

19 Sep 1819, James son of Mary Jackson, Spinster, Little Heaton
7 Nov 1819, Alice daughter of Mary Jackson, Spinster, Little Heaton
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Frost74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, for the names Alice and James I will check these out today.
I will try again at obtaining a death certificate for Robert, failing that I will make sure to visit Middleton grave yard on my next visit to the UK and see what I can find.