Author Topic: 28 Glen Gardens, Callander  (Read 3144 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
28 Glen Gardens, Callander
« on: Wednesday 08 March 17 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone happen to know whether this address was a residential home in 1977?

James Macdonald, merchant seaman, married Margaret Marjorie Mougg in Glasgow on 29 November 1951. He was a widower, aged 67, and she was a spinster, aged 42. His parents are named as John Macdonald, shepherd, and Mary McCorquodale. She was the daughter of Margaret Marjory Durnan, widow of David Moug.

James Macdonald is listed in the valuation roll at 4 Leighton Place, Callander until 1955/6, and both he and Mrs Marjorie Macdonald are listed there in the electoral register until 1955/6. James died on 7 August 1955 at 4 Leighton Place, aged 73. His parents are listed as John Macdonald, shepherd, and Mary Macaulay, and his wife's name as Marjorie Douglas. The informant is his son.

Mrs Marjorie MacDonald was listed in the valuation roll and in the electoral register at 4 Leighton Place from 1956/7 until 1961/2, after which she disappears.

Margaret Marjory Moug, widow of James Macdonald, died at 28 Glen Gardens, Callander on 8 April 1977. Her death was registered by her son, ? Macdonald (was he in fact her stepson?). Allowing for creative spelling, he got her details and parentage right.

So is the Marjorie Macdonald who disappears in 1962 the same one who turns up in 1977? And if so why is she not listed in the Electoral Register in Callander after 1962? Did she move away and come back 15 years later, or was she taken into care at the age of 53?

Am I safe to deduce that this is indeed one and the same person?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: 28 Glen Gardens, Callander
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Looking at google maps, it currently looks to be very much a housing estate, and likely was the same in the 1970s, judging by the house styles. Panning around the street, I can't really imagine that it would have been the address of a Residential/Care Home.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, scotmum.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 April 17 21:04 BST (UK) »
Glen Gardens is a housing estate in Callander.
I work in Callander, went to high school etc there and it has always been houses.
There are some small bungalows near Glen Gardens that are council owned and used more for elderly residents but come under a different street name .

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 21:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks, monks13.

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 April 17 20:40 BST (UK) »
I can have a wee dig around for you.
There are still lots of MacDonalds in Callander.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 13:06 BST (UK) »
I can have a wee dig around for you.
There are still lots of MacDonalds in Callander.
Thanks. Appreciated, and my apologies for being slow to acknowledge.

I am pretty sure the 'son' who registered her death in 1977 must have been a stepson. I'll PM you his name, as he could still be alive.

Offline Kjell2411

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 October 17 20:32 GMT (UK) »
This was not a residential home it was Marjorie home address.  She was my Grand Mother.   She moved from Leighton place to Glen gardens and the person reporting her death was her son Ian MacDonald who also lived at 28 Glen Gardens.
My mother was Finella MacDonald.  If you need more info let me know.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 October 17 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Kjell2411.

I see that this is your first post. Once you have made two more posts to the forum I will be able to contact you by personal message with a view to exchanging notes. I have quite a bit of information about Marjorie that might be of interest to you.