Author Topic: Where did Alfred CLAYPOLE (b. 1831) go?  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Where did Alfred CLAYPOLE (b. 1831) go?
« on: Wednesday 08 March 17 10:09 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching the family of William CLAYPOLE (1802 - 1875) and Elizabeth SHAW (abt 1801 - 1854) who lived in Great Easton, Leicestershire. I have tracked down 9 of their 10 children. The last remaining "recluse" is fifth born Alfred who was baptised in Great Easton on June 12th 1831. He was seen in the census of 1841 living with his grandparents John CLAYPOLE and Sarah ASHBY, still in the village.

By 1851, he had moved in with his older married brother James CLAYPOLE who was a gatekeeper on the Rugby to Stamford railway line and who lived at the Railway Gate House, Thorpe by Water.

Brother James is still in Thorpe by Water in 1861 but Alfred has disappeared from the records (at least all the obvious ones that I can find!) after 1851 - no BMDs, no further census appearances, nothing in the newspapers.

James and his family moved to Northampton by 1871.

Many thanks

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where did Alfred CLAYPOLE (b. 1831) go?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 10:29 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching the family of William CLAYPOLE (1802 - 1875) and Elizabeth SHAW (abt 1801 - 1854) who lived in Great Easton, Leicestershire. I have tracked down 9 of their 10 children. The last remaining "recluse" is fifth born Alfred who was baptised in Great Easton on June 12th 1831.

He was seen in the census of 1841 living with his grandparents John CLAYPOLE and Sarah ASHBY, still in the village.

By 1851, he had moved in with his older married brother James CLAYPOLE who was a gatekeeper on the Rugby to Stamford railway line and who lived at the Railway Gate House, Thorpe by Water.

Could this be him

Alfred Claypole age 25  born c 1831
native place & County Leicestershire occ Ag Lab.
arrival 23 May 1856
Vessel name Robert Small
New South Wales Australia Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists 1828 - 1896
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 10:34 GMT (UK) »
on another document Alfred Claypole age 25 farm labourer Great Easton Leic.
father William & mother Eliz'th, father living in Great Easton, religion C E, can read & write,
Relations in the Colony John Couson living in Penrith
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks

That sounds very much like him. I couldn't get the document to open on FindMyPast but it will give me another avenue of research in New South Wales.

I don't currently have an indication of a John Couson

Cheers Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 10:53 GMT (UK) »
AHA! Now that is very interesting. Apparently I'm not the first relative of his (I'm his first cousin three times removed!!) to have been looking for him. My first delve into the Australian archives produced this cutting:

"MISSING FRIENDS: Claypole (Alfred) of Great Easton, Leicestershire, left Cornwall with a family named Reed in 1856. His address in 1857 was Sussex Street, Sydney. Sister Lizzie asks" - Adelaide Evening Journal Page 7 Saturday February 16th 1901.

Lizzie was his younger sister Sarah Elizabeth Claypole (1837 - 1919) who married  Robert Chamberlain in 1859.

I'll keep looking

Alan

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Have now seen the actual Immigration form. The clincher is the statement under parents' names "Father living in Great Easton" His mother, Elizabeth, died towards the end of 1854.

Alan