Author Topic: Marriage Licence 1812 - Tidmarsh, marriage of James Hughes & Elizabeth New  (Read 657 times)

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
I'm scratching my head were to find the allegation or licence for this marriage.  Not found on Sarum marriage licence bonds or the CD of marriage licences covering Wilts & Berks produced by the Willts FHS.  No idea where to look next.

The actual marriage register entry below clearly notes James was from Chievely, so likely the reason for the licence. 

Their first few children were all baptised at Leckhampstead and I can tie down the couple moved to Touchen End between Jun 1820 and Sep 1821 based on baptism & burial of one of those children.

James, a carpenter, is a brick wall for me.  He made it to the 1851 census when his place of birth was given as "Martinmore" so Mortimer, but there is no trace of the Hughes family there or adjacent parishes.  I think this is simply somewhere he might have lived as child.  In 1841 he was in Touchen End and in 1851 Holyport where he died in 1855, his death certificate given age is 65 which tallies with age in 1851 and gives his birth year to be about 1790. 

Touchen End seems possibly where he was actually born as its a veritable nest of Hughes.  Obviously I'm hoping the named bondsman might simply be his father (?) and I can tie up with a likely baptism found at Touchen End...  Elizabeth was originally from Chaddleworth, born 1781 (parents John & Elizabeth, so I have her tied down nicely).

thanks in advance for any help.
Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Licence 1812 - Tidmarsh, marriage of James Hughes & Elizabeth New
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Marriage Licences were issued by the Diocese and I see that Chievely came under the Diocese of Oxford.  It might be that the Bond and Allegation, if they have survived, will be with the Oxford Diocesan records.  :-\

"CHIEVELEY, a parish in the hundred of Faircross, in the county of Berks, 4 miles N. of Newbury, its post town, and 4½ from Ilsley. It comprises the chapelries of Oare, Winterbourn, and Leckhampstead, and the tythings of Courage, Snelsmore, and North Heath. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford,

from Genuki
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks BumbleB I've just had a look at the "Index of Oxford Diocese Marriage Bonds and Affidavits, 1661-1850" which is online here http://www.whipple.org/oxford/diocesan_marriage_bonds.html  unfortunately I've not found James there (there is one James Hughes but definitely not the right one).  The marriage was though at Tidmarsh which does also seem to be in Oxford diocese  ::)

Looking at the notes on the website on this page http://whipple.org/oxford/marriagebonds.html though it looks like this list is not as complete as one the Society of Genealogists have "There used to be a copy of the hand written Archdeacon's Index and the Diocesan Index at the Bodleian Library at the University of Oxford but they may have been moved to a record office in Oxford when the parish registers were moved. There was also a copy of the Archdeacon's Index at the Society of Genealogists in London. That index is 700 pages long, with about 31 marriages per page, covering the years 1634 to 1849 or in other words, about 25,000 possible marriages. The Diocesan index had about half as many bonds covering the years 1661-1850."  I think maybe a search there is what I need.
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
  • James Aaron Grigg 1875-1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Berkshire Archdeaconry was part of Salisbury Diocese until it transferred to Oxford Diocese in 1836.
West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
South Bucks- Miller Mitchell Horton
Cornwall- Aunger Baker Grigg Luxton
Hants- Hine/Hind
South Oxon- Applebee Barlow Clark Edginton Elliott Fryzer Simmonds Toby
Suffolk- Chilvers Darby Philpot Russell Stone
Surrey- Edwards Knight Lanaway
Sussex- English Exeter Jeffery Knight Mugridge
Wilts Bishop

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks stevemiller, that'w why I first looked in Sarum allegations but I wasn't sure when the crossover date was.
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire