Author Topic: Visit to West Riding, Yorkshire  (Read 1927 times)

Offline warrenrpetersen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Visit to West Riding, Yorkshire
« on: Wednesday 08 March 17 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I live in Dallas, Texas USA. My mother's father's family came from the Birstall/Batley area near Leeds. I am going to be visiting there in July. I've got about 12 surnames from the area just in the first 3 generations beyond the last ones born there. Any suggestions on ways to connect with relatives living in the area? It would be cool to meet them and share family histories. I have sent emails to the church vicors and the local historical society. Is there an online phone book type of look up that will also contain email addresses so I can contact them in advance? Can anyone suggest a local genealogy researcher who can help filling out ancestor data? Thanks for any help.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Visit to West Riding, Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »
There's a magazine - "The Dalesman" - that has a family history column - you could try writing to them.  Or you could  try the Yorkshire Evening Post.
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

If you look down this forum there is an England section. Under that is a section called 'Yorkshire, West Riding'. The county boundaries changed but I believe that Batley was in the West Riding of Yorkshire.

You may want to consider posting there with some of the family names you are looking to trace, as you may find a connection there?

I'm from West Yorkshire and while I don't know Batley or Birstall particularly well I'd be happy to help you further if I can.

;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you use Facebook, but, on Facebook there are at least 2 local groups for people living in Batley. You might consider posting there to see if you can track down any relatives.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 March 17 11:59 GMT (UK) »
You might find it helpful to connect with and/or join one of the local family history societies. They maintain lists of members' research interests, so there's always a chance of getting in touch with family members who are looking into the same lines as you.

Yorkshire has a lot of societies covering fairly limited areas, and Birstall and Batley are in an area "claimed" by two of them - Huddersfield and Morley. In addition, some parts of the ancient parish of Birstall (notably Cleckheaton, Tong and Drighlington) are covered by Bradford.

All these societies have websites describing their areas of interest and research facilities, but often members' interests can only be seen by other members. (There might be ways of making upfront enquiries, though - it would cost nothing to ask.)

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 March 17 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Huddersfield and District family history society does include Batley/ Birstall in its area. The whole area around Huddersfield is now called Kirklees.
Hope you have a useful visit in July. I'd suggest that you plan the trip in some detail before you arrive.
You will find West Yorkshire very interesting. The towns retain the identity of their textile industrial past and are surrounded by beautiful countryside.
I'm not sure how you might contact potential relatives. If you have any unusual surnames you might find similar ones using the "192" people search site, based on electoral registers.
And do put your post on the West Yorkshire section of Rootschat.
Good Luck.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 March 17 16:27 GMT (UK) »
If you add a list of your surname interests, and approximate dates /locations, you'll almost certainly get in touch with useful people!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 March 17 16:02 GMT (UK) »
some suggestions for  finding living relations   on  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=142443.0   
Best of luck!
Jed

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 March 17 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
Probably your best bet is sticking with this website as it is so big and there are folks on here from the area who have plenty of knowledge to share.

In your other post http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=766938.msg6190227#msg6190227 you listed your surname interests. Is this the family?

Fox
Benjamin Fox b 1808 Birstall Parish
Married
Helen/Ellen? Armitage b 1811 Drighlington?
Marriage registered June quarter 1838 at Dewsbury

Ineson
Timothy Ineson b 1814 Birstall Parish
Married
Hannah Marsland b 1813 Birstall Parish
Marriage registered June quarter 1839 at Dewsbury

Both these families emigrated to the USA
Timothy, a cordwainer, in 1841, followed by his wife Hannah and their daughter Selina in 1843
The Fox family also emigrated to the USA about the same time or maybe slightly later?

As other posters have mentioned, there are local history groups and some of them have Facebook pages/groups too. There is a Batley history group that meets once a month
Good luck with your quest and hope you have a great time here in West Yorkshire.

Added - You might find this page useful.
Genuki Birstall
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Birstall/