Author Topic: Increased security for Firefox users  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Increased security for Firefox users
« on: Wednesday 08 March 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Many of us take it for granted that a site is secure when visiting various websites.
[https:// are by right the most secure]
With the latest update to Firefox (ver 52.0) now checks to see if your website visit is secure.
https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Protect-your-privacy/Insecure-password-warning-in-Firefox/ta-p/27861
The link above shows that the website is not https secure, with an option to leave/enter your username/password.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Increased security for Firefox users
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 March 17 08:09 GMT (UK) »
All we need now is for all the lazy/ignorant web designers to comply with the basic guidelines, which so few actually do  >:(

A majority of the sites I visit are poorly coded and either Firefox or Norton flag up security risks. Then we are bombarded with tracking cookies, client side scripts, adware, etc . . .

I'm not paranoid but basically everyone is out to get me  ::)  so thank you Firefox for another weapon in the battle.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 March 17 08:19 GMT (UK) »
The message comes up for me for this site  :-\

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 March 17 09:11 GMT (UK) »
I don't think many forums use a secure connection. They don't generally hold sensitive information about you other than your email address, and everything you write is available for the world to see anyway.

I don't imagine RootsChat is any less safe than it was last week  ;)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 March 17 09:58 GMT (UK) »
We redirect from HTTPS to non-https.

Indeed, there is no need for this site to be HTTPS encrypted, as Mike said. The other difficulty is that if people post messages with embedded images from other non-https sites, or have such images in their profile then it would also break the HTTPS if it was in place.

The other big problem is that it creates more load on the servers, and on people's browsers as each and every new web session has to 'negotiate' the secure connection.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 March 17 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for info, Trystan.
I just ignored the message and logged in as I assumed that, as I had been safe for 11 years, I wasn't suddenly going to be compromised. Rootschat is one of my trusted sites  but I'd like to get rid of the message :)

PS - it comes up when I login to Newcastle Adult Learning too  ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 March 17 10:53 GMT (UK) »

I use Firefox and get the message for some sites, but not for Rootschat ;D ;D ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 March 17 11:21 GMT (UK) »
While it may not matter if someone hacks your password for RootsChat on an non-encrypted connection, it will definitely matter if it's the same password you use for your bank account, etc.  :o :o :o

Just a reminder to anyone who uses the same password for everything . . . it's a BAD idea!

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 March 17 11:34 GMT (UK) »
I'm going to lock this topic for the time being.  ;)

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.