Author Topic: Henry Fenton McLaughlin  (Read 6120 times)

Offline resQengine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Fenton McLaughlin
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 11 March 17 15:03 GMT (UK) »
You are outstanding. Is there an old map that you are referring to? Just curious as to how you came to your conclusion regarding which house it may have been.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 11 March 17 15:18 GMT (UK) »
The poem mentions Ardavon House and is the name in the 1950 Will Extract. The extract also fits with James McLoughlin on Upper Captain St. in valuation book.

Many of the houses in Coleraine had names but not street numbers. Sometimes the old names survive on gate pillars or light above the door but haven't yet been able to spot anything on Streetview yet.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 11 March 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
April 3rd 1941 Belfast Newsletter has a Samuel Fleming noted as dying on the 2nd at his residence, Ardavon, Captain Street, Coleraine.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 11 March 17 15:32 GMT (UK) »
1931 Northern Whig has death noted of an Elizabeth Haslett, widow of James M'Farland and daughter of late Henry Haslett.  She died at Ardavon, Captain Street.

1925, an infant,  Isobel Murray died there.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 11 March 17 15:35 GMT (UK) »
1910 Derry Journal has mention of a John F, M'Laughlin, Ardavon, Upper Captain Street (law clerk in office of Mr Daniel MacLaughlin, solicitor - could this be Dan and Jack of the poem?). Same paper, in 1909, mentions a James M'Loughlin J.P., Ardavon, Coleraine.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 11 March 17 15:41 GMT (UK) »
An edition of the Belfast Telegraph in 1906, has a letter to the editor, from a J M'Loughlin, Ardavon, Coleraine, regarding the Red Hand of Ulster.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 11 March 17 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Good finds  :)

Will re-check valuation books (my grandfather's aunt lived Upper Captain Street for a few years when she came back from India early 1900s so if I can remember which house it might help find Ardavon).

Note: There is also Ardavon on what is now Coleraine Road in Garvagh (south of coleraine) but this is NOT the same place.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 11 March 17 17:16 GMT (UK) »
http://oldkillowen.angelfire.com/page3.html The MacLaughlins, half way down page

Offline resQengine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 11 March 17 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Scotmum, thank you for that link. I posted that with my original post, unsure if it was the same family. It certainly is looking that way. The names correspond with the articles. Alicia Haslett was married to James. Not sure of the relation of Elizabeth Haslett, widow of James M'cFarland. Alica's mother was a McFarland I believe.

What resource are you looking at for the articles in the Belfast Telegraph and Derry Journal? I believe I have newspapers.com subscription from ancestry.com. I have not had a chance to explore that yet