Author Topic: ROBSON IN NEWCASTLETON & Jedburgh  (Read 1474 times)

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
ROBSON IN NEWCASTLETON & Jedburgh
« on: Thursday 09 March 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
 My ancestor, John Robson was born in Newcastleton abt 1799 to Andrew & Mary Robson.  I'm not sure Mary was John's mother; just that she was at least one of Andrew's wives.  Andrew was born in Jedburgh abt 1770 and died in that county; don't know the town.  John was the oldest of six (I think).  The three younger children were born in England.   John died in Aspatria, Cumberland;  one of his younger sisters died in Bewcastle, England.  I've been to all of those towns and know they aren't far apart.  But I loose track of John from from 1799 to 1838.  Would appreciate any help filling in the gaps.  John was my maternal grandmother's grandfather.  Thanks
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROBSON IN NEWCASTLETON & Jedburgh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 March 17 13:28 GMT (UK) »
if its the right Robson family - there is a lot - as it is one the reiver families - both sides of the border
it would appear the Andrew & Mary where in Newcastleton in the 1841 census

Andrew 64 born in Roxburghshire  - born circa 1777
Mary 63 born in Endland born circa 1778
with 4 grandchildren with them at the time:
Mary Dagg age 9 born England
Elizabeth Telfer age 4 born Roxburghshire
Elizabeth Robson age 9 born England
Rebecca Robson age 4 born England

Will have a look through my Robson's which are around the Crailing/Jedburgh/Eckford/Kelso areas
and see if anything pops up.

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
Re: ROBSON IN NEWCASTLETON & Jedburgh
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 March 17 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Terianne, the names you show match mine (almost) but I didn't figure the children as grand-children.  Making one of the older men the father.  I lost track of my John for 38 years, but then he married and had children.  Now if I could resolve his past.  I thought about the reivers, but most of that activity had ceased.

You're right about the reivers.  I read a very thick book about them - can't recall the author or title.  But when I was in Carlisle, the museum there has much about it.  Was also in Newcastleton and Jedburgh a few weeks later.  It's still alive in the air there, also in an area  north of Bewcastle, just below the border.  The church was built from the bricks of Hadrian's Wall.  Much of the church shows the destruction of the Dissolution, but is still used for services.  Bugs me because I can't recall the name of the church/hall/cathedral.  It was sold to a major family of that time.   Told you, it bugs me. THE NAME OF THE CHURCH IS LANERCOST PRIORY JUST OVER THE RIVER IRTHINGTON.  WAS AT IRTHINGTON CHURCH ALSO.  IT'S LITERALLY A HOP, SKIP, AND JUMP TO THE BORDER FROM EITHER LOCATION.  BOTH LOCATIONS WELL WORTH A TRIP.
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz