Author Topic: Help...William H. Welsh, b.Manchester, lived Liverpool - my grandfather  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help...William H. Welsh, b.Manchester, lived Liverpool - my grandfather
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 March 17 00:19 GMT (UK) »
The GRO  records are in quarters of the year March, June, September and December.

Grouping 3 months of records together with districts,  and then volumes and finally the page number of that volume you get a single certificate!   This is the Vol. & p numbers on the reference above

Good Huntig
Rowland/s- Hughes -Caernarfornshire/Stockport Cheshire
Barnicoat - Cornwall Lancashire Stockport,Cheshire
Jones (!) - Caernarvonshire,NWales  USA - Iowa, Wisconsin, S Dakota.
Thomas - Anglesey, USA Iowa, Oregon

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 March 17 00:21 GMT (UK) »
The Merchant Seaman Identity Card has a photo! (On Findmypast).  It is indexed as 1918 but looking at the codes on the card it seems more likely to be dated 1920.

Have a look at the Welsh family I set out at reply #13.  The mother Antonietta grew up in Australia and went back there permanently between 1905-1910, which, if this is the right family, may explain why your William claims to be Australian in some records.  Antonietta may have played a little fast & loose with marriage laws.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Welsh Seeker6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 March 17 00:31 GMT (UK) »
BINGO!!!!!!!! You have found him/them!! Or at least I think you have.
I can't thank you enough. My father went through his whole life not knowing any of this and I've been searching for about 40 years or more.
I had taken a break to make dinner and just got back on. Must have missed a few of your posts. I checked out the family tree of Antoniette's on Ancestry and I know that I match someone's family tree posted on FamilyTree DNA with the names I saw on hers, as I did FamilyTreeDNA testing as I couldn't seem to get anywhere and knew so little. I have to print everything out and make sense of this. My father had two pictures, very grainy, of his father. I can't wait to get on to see if that's him! Everyone always says I look Italian, even when I went to Italy.
I wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone here who has jumped in to help me. I can't thank you enough.
Welsh, Van Sicklen, Ahlen, Bostwick, Tousley/Towsley, Geisler, Schwab

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 March 17 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Wow - that's great news that the names fit with your DNA matches :). How exciting!

If this is the right track there should be plenty of relatives out there - Antonietta seems to have had children with both her Australian husbands, as well as her English one.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Welsh Seeker6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 March 17 01:21 GMT (UK) »
I have DNA matches with people in Australia and couldn't figure out why. I think this explains it. One particular one is 2nd to 4th cousin. I am off to find out some of my DNA matches using some of these surnames.
You are the BEST! Thank you.
If I need some guidance again, I'll be sure to check back. I have lots of follow up to do.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 March 17 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Do update the thread and let us know how you get on.  The birth reg for William Henry Welsh is Sep qtr 1888 Chorlton (see reply 13).

Incidentally his father appears in many of the records as Edward (W.), but in fact was baptised as Edmund William Welsh in Eccles in 1852.  Parents were William Henry :) and Nancy.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 March 17 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Welsh family here in Garston ,Liverpool - ask your dad was there any of his relatives in Garston ? - all in there 70's now but the 4 siblings are all healthy and I see them regularly  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 March 17 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Possibly of interest?

Merchant Seaman Identity Certificate no 223053 (date unclear - could be 1920)

William Henry Welsh, purser.

Born 24 May 1887 Manchester.

British national, British father.

Just out of interest.
His WW1 Medal Card
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7957449

The ship he served on in June 1920 was the Liverpool registered vessel ABINSI official number 137388. Her 1920 logbooks and crew agreements are available from here.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=137388

Her crew agreement should tell you amongest other things, his last address, nok, and importantly his previous ship.
In this way, backtracking via crew agreements you can find out his entire MN career if you so wish. Be aware that most WW1 crew agreements are stored in the British Archive. Search via the ships official number.
Forget the ID certificate number. It's unimportant. The number to look for is his Dis A number 744110.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Welsh Seeker6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Welsh family here in Garston ,Liverpool - ask your dad was there any of his relatives in Garston ? - all in there 70's now but the 4 siblings are all healthy and I see them regularly  :)
Garstonite....are you related to the Welsh family descended from Cherubina Antonietta Maria Del Lungo and Edmund/Edward Welsh? My father was 82 when he passed away in 1998. Can you either post or PM me names or a family tree? I know nothing about the family and would love to!
Thank you for posting.
Cheryl