Author Topic: Help...William H. Welsh, b.Manchester, lived Liverpool - my grandfather  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Welsh Seeker6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help...William H. Welsh, b.Manchester, lived Liverpool - my grandfather
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Seaweed......Thank you for the heads up about William's medal. I actually just found that a few days ago as I decided to get a one month's subscription to FindMyPast.com and it was on there. It was not on Ancestry.
Thank you for the details about how to look for more information, I would not have known that. I did print out the Merchant Seaman Identity card with his picture on it. He gives his birth date as May 24, 1887 on that. The birth record that we've identified for him is for William Henry Welsh, born Chorlton in 1888. I surmise that maybe he needed to fudge his DOB to get into the Merchant Marine. Not sure why he would change the month and year. It does indicate that his mother's maiden name is Del Lungs (s/b Lungo), so that would be correct for him.
I will be sending for his birth record. I did find what I believe is his baptismal in the Church of England in Toxteth at St. Thomas, and shows an April 23, 1888 birth date but has his parents as William and Mary, so I'm not sure that's him.
Thank you for your help!
Welsh, Van Sicklen, Ahlen, Bostwick, Tousley/Towsley, Geisler, Schwab

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Welsh family here in Garston ,Liverpool - ask your dad was there any of his relatives in Garston ? - all in there 70's now but the 4 siblings are all healthy and I see them regularly  :)
Garstonite....are you related to the Welsh family descended from Cherubina Antonietta Maria Del Lungo and Edmund/Edward Welsh? My father was 82 when he passed away in 1998. Can you either post or PM me names or a family tree? I know nothing about the family and would love to!
Thank you for posting.
Cheryl
Hiya Cheryl - no I am not in any way related to the Welsh family - but there is a family of Welsh here in Garston and I see them all the time - I know there mother who would have been around 100 now was named Flo - so I will check who she married when I see one of the family .
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Welsh Seeker6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 16 March 17 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Garstonite....Florence Hilda Welsh was born 1896. If she had children, she would no longer be going by her maiden name. So, I don't know if they are related? But I would certainly like to find out.

I have also determined that the birth record for William Henry Welsh with the birth mother: Del Lungo is the one born in Chorleton, not Toxteth (that I mentioned earlier with parents William and Mary).

On a passenger list from the SS Shonga sailing on July 27, 1918 William H. Welsh states that his date of birth is May 24, 1884 in Manchester, England. Nationality: English, Nationality of father: English. Last lived at 5 Fatherly St., Liverpool. I believe that birth year to be incorrect, as he states it as 1887 on his ID card. I have sent for this birth certificate from GRO.

Thanks to all for keeping up with this! It is a work in progress :)

Offline Welsh Seeker6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 21 May 17 20:14 BST (UK) »
Update....I received the birth record for William H. Welsh from the GRO. He was born May 24, 1888. Parents were as listed here. He was born in Chorlton, Manchester, England. Correction to where he last lived, that should have been 5 Hatherly St, Liverpool (not Fatherly St. as was done by auto-correct).

Garstonite...wondering if the Welsh family that you know are related to Dr. William H. Welsh born in the very early 1800's in this same area. I believe that there is a son or grandson of his that also became a doctor.

Offline Welsh Seeker6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 March 19 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Update.....In the time that has passed since I first posted and recieved from all of you the information that has ultimately filled in the missing holes of our family history, I have been in touch with cousins in both England and Australia. If not for the replies recieved here I would still be in the dark. So again I want to thank everyone here who so graciously jumped in to help me!