Author Topic: RAF/ARMY uniform identification. Help please!  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Shelley84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAF/ARMY uniform identification. Help please!
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 11 March 17 05:17 GMT (UK) »
RAF artillery were formed to defend airfields so not air crew.

This is interesting to learn also, thanks!

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 11 March 17 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 11 March 17 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

I looked at that picture plus many others but discounted RAF because of the badge. I was thinking only of what must be an officers badge, crown over eagle over laurel sprays, rather than a wreath.

I can still find no reference to the crossbelt the one chap is wearing but will keep looking.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Shelley84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 11 March 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

I looked at that picture plus many others but discounted RAF because of the badge. I was thinking only of what must be an officers badge, crown over eagle over laurel sprays, rather than a wreath.

I can still find no reference to the crossbelt the one chap is wearing but will keep looking.

John915

Thanks John. I appreciate your help.

On another note, after searching service number and name (Including variations) I cannot find any details of him on Air78 Kew. I'm either doing it wrong or his info is missing, not online or? Am I missing something perhaps? Scratching my head!  ???

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 11 March 17 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Records of people serving after 1920 are still with the MOD.

To apply for the records, see:
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/overview

CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Shelley84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 12 March 17 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Records of people serving after 1920 are still with the MOD.

To apply for the records, see:
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/overview

Ah ok. I was under the impression that the enlistment (name and number) is on Air78 but for full records apply at gov.uk, I must have misunderstood this in another thread I was reading - I plan to apply when I get his death certificate. Thanks 😊

Offline Shelley84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 12 March 17 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Posting this as I am confused and don't want leave even the slightest rock unturned.

I read this in another thread, Link - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=629696.9

Quote user 'daretodiscover'

"We all have free access to the records I used to locate Airman Refell's service number.

They are located online at Kew in the AIR78 section. Scans of index cards with full names and service numbers, 6 per page of all airmen and women who enlisted between 1918-1975"

Unquote

So I understand it as you can locate just the name and service number but those who enlisted after 1920 you can only obtain full records by applying at gov.uk.

Can someone clarify this? Sorry if I am missing something.  :-[ :-\

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 12 March 17 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Trying to unpick this one.

Conjecture and erroneous replies as well as correct info.

Taking the certificate details you posted.

Lance Corporal was not an RAF rank in 1936 (or anytime between the wars).

RAF had no formation or designation containing Artillery in 1936 (or anytime between the wars) but I see your later post or Armoury which would be valid for an armourer tradesman.

No.32 Squadron RAF was a Fighter role squadron hence (F) description in between the wars RAF habit. Not to be confused with later use of (F) to denote a Founder Squadron. The location of Biggin Hill is correct for the squadron in 1936.

No.218 Squadron RAF was a light Bomber role squadron and would typically have (B) added if the scribe was being pedantic in recording. In 1938/39 they were mostly based at Boscombe Down and were rarely at Farnborough for any length of time.

Until the formation of the RAF Regiment in 1942 the main ground defence of aerodrome was an additional task for airmen employed on other trade tasks only in late 1939 did a trade and training of Ground Gunner come into being with formal training taking place in the Isle of Man.

From Munich Crisis until 1942 the main ground defence for aerodromes was provided by Army units .

So the certificates seem to support an RAF tradesman history for correct squadron locations but the rank and trade are either recording or transcription errors.

As a serving airman he should be listed in AIR 78 but you need to check on both full name and surname plus initials as he could be listed under either. There are pages of AIR78 misfiled or missing when they microfilmed so absence is not proof of no service.

With two marriage certificates the service number you used should be confirmed but if you care to make it known it can validated as correct for RAF and 1936 to 1939 period.

AIR 78 is only the card index that RAF Records Clerks would have used to confirm the full name and/or service number for an enlisted OR/NCO before they pulled the full service file.

The retained service file paperwork is being released to the TNA but, as correctly detailed, only those serving before 1920s with no  later service during 1939 to 1945 have been transferred. The remainder are still retained by the MoD and can be accessed by RAF Disclosures at Cranwell subject to listed conditions.

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 12 March 17 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Peter Aitken Allan listed in AIR78 with service number 511195 is vaild for between the wars service and the card lacks the usual pointers to pre war Militia or Class F Reserve obligation during Munich Crisis.

Attached is the Form 1180 accident card for the Battle in case you have not pulled it. (Credit RAF Museum in any reuse)

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.