Author Topic: Bride or Groom's Townland?  (Read 669 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bride or Groom's Townland?
« on: Friday 10 March 17 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Many marriage records only give one townland.

Sometimes it lines with the bride's name or follows it sequentially.  In a certain index, I've noted that it is often written with the groom's name, and I suspect this is a mistake, but it's not really testable, as the images are not viewable and the marriages I'm interested in are all near the beginning of the records.

In one instance the great preponderance of names on the tithes (some 20 or more years later) seems to imply it is the bride's.  The other cases are not clear cut.

Would I be right in supposing that it was a general convention to give the bride's townland rather than the groom's,  in such cases, where only one is given?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bride or Groom's Townland?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 March 17 14:58 GMT (UK) »
No, you need to see the actual record before coming to any conclusions.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 March 17 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Would I be right in supposing that it was a general convention to give the bride's townland rather than the groom's,  in such cases, where only one is given?

Agree with aghadowney, as the registers differ so much, but that said I would be inclined towards the complete opposite and think the townland is more likely to be the grooms or both.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 March 17 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Well, just to muddy the water, I believe it is predominantly the bride's address.  Also, note that it was also originally probably where the marriage was actually celebrated. It was only sometime between 1830 and 1850 that the majority of Catholic marriages moved to a church, as opposed to being celebrated at home.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 March 17 01:56 GMT (UK) »
There's said to be a tradition in Ireland of a couple getting married in the bride's parish.  I am sure there are exceptions, but most seem to follow it.  In that way, I think the bride sort of takes precedence over the groom, at least when it comes to place.  Perhaps it is because she takes the groom's name.

One strong example, I can find is a marriage record that simply says "the mill", where the bride's father was a miller.