Author Topic: James Hinchliffe 1796-1843 - who did he come from?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Hinchliffe 1796-1843 - who did he come from?
« on: Friday 10 March 17 09:38 GMT (UK) »
I've always been a bit stuck on getting back beyond my ggg grandparents. 

All I know about James is he appears on the 1841 census in Huddersfield born Yorkshire age 45 with wife Sarah and family.  He was a farmer/husbandman on children's baptisms which were in Cumberworth up to c1826 so am guessing the family moved into Huddersfield after that date.

I have a death certificate from 1843 where he is 55 (informant Sarah Hinchliffe present at the death) which seems quite a difference even allowing for age errors but Sarah is widowed in 1851 so even if that isn't him he died before 1851.

There are a couple of baptisms around 1796 specifically with a father William mother Martha that could be him but I just don't know.  None of his children had those names.  The first son was called Mark the first daughter Eliza. 

Would appreciate any pointers as would love to get back a little further and be as confident as possible am on the right track. 
I don't know his wife's parents either but that's for another time!

Thank you  :)

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Hinchliffe 1796-1843 - who did he come from?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 January 20 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Still stuck and as a relative has recently asked if I have found out anything thought I would chance posting again to see if anyone has any ideas.

Thank you. 

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline davethepost

• RootsChat Extra
  • If it's too loud, you're too OLD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 January 20 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have a mate who is called Hinchliffe and his family come from Yorkshire and he has a lot of informtion. I will bring your information around the next time i see him

Dave
Killick - London and jersey and kent
Lake - Norfolk (kings lynn and district)
Burton - Northants
Asher - Northants and bedford shire
Davis - Dorset and London

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 January 20 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You could have another look at the GROs for death on gov site now they have age so it might show another possible death.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 January 20 17:26 GMT (UK) »
There are loads and loads of likely Hinchcliffes down as baptised /banns published, in Cumberworth St Nicholas' church in the 1790s, as that was given as baptism place for young Charlotte, in 1818. I've spent a while pottling through them, nothing leaps out, and most are listed as "clothiers" - not surprising, there.
Tried to hunt around for possible marriages for your James to a Sarah - but unfortunately Ancestry seems only to hold marriages to 1812, (which would be rather young!)
Sorry. Perhaps there may be later records for that church? Perhaps at West Riding Archives?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 January 20 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dave.

I have the marriage of James & Sarah Wood as 1816 but his parents (and hers) I am stuck with.

I have James as labourer in 1841 and husbandman Cumberworth Half on a couple of baptisms of his children.  Only found baptisms for the older children none for the younger ones.

Daughter Rhoada baptised at Kirkburton All Hallows 1824 has "Birkhouse" abode and labourer.

Thanks for having a look for me. 

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 January 20 16:34 GMT (UK) »
That's why I'd started hunting in the Cumberworth (St Nicholas) records, but they haven't them later than 1812 on Ancestry, and I was really hunting marriages. A couple of likely baptisms, as you said, but not able to narrow it down. All the Hinchcliffe families in that area do seem to be closely linked, which doesn't make it any easier for you, does it? Sorry.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 January 20 08:32 GMT (UK) »
His seems to have been buried in Huddersfield St. Peter's 16 July living in Paddock but there was a James Hinchliffe died 1850 Huddersfield aged 51.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just had a look at the marriage and it is with banns & consent of parents so one or both were underage. One of the witness's was a Uriah Hinchliffe, been looking for him but all I can find is a marriage in 1808 at Clayton West but it gives him as being from Emley.
The Clayton West links could worth following up.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Morrey, Hudson, Limb