Author Topic: john oxlade  (Read 4621 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
john oxlade
« on: Friday 10 March 17 12:15 GMT (UK) »
I've asked about this man before and have since amassed material that gives a time-line; but I'm stuck at two points - interconnected.

Firstly, Oxlade had married a Sarah Sheldrick in 1794 and there were children of the marriage.  I can find no death notice for Sarah.  Can anyone help?

Secondly, two girls of the marriage died in 1812.  It's possible that Sarah died at that time as well.  It's also possible that this was due to an epidemic - there was a whooping-cough epidemic in London that year.

At any rate, John Oxlade moved to Portsea where he married again (1813).  Had he moved, I wonder, i  consequence of tghe deaths of membes of his family?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

roly

I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: john oxlade
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 March 17 12:37 GMT (UK) »
When/where were the children born.   Where were the 1812 deaths
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 March 17 12:58 GMT (UK) »
The only Sarah Oxlade I can find buried in 1812 was at Mitcham, Surrey and I note that the various online trees have their children baptised in London and Mitcham - are you sure this is the same family?

Aside from that, the Sarah Oxlade buried at Mitcham 12/1/1812 was aged 73 years so neither mother or daughter.  Cannot find another Oxlade burial at Mitcham in 1812.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 March 17 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Yeah.  Got that 1812 death and the coincidence with the death of the children but, altogether, it all seems so very unlikely (John Oxlade was born in 1770).

Birth of Sarah Sheldrick?  Can't find anything as yet.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 March 17 15:50 GMT (UK) »
John Oxlade married Sarah Sheldrick in December 1794  St. Botolph Aldgate, London

Are these their children
Baptisms at Whitechapel
Frances Susanna born 17 Dec 1793 christened 19 March 1802
William Thomas baptised 6 December 1795 (abode Church Lane)

Who are the children that died 1812 and where were they buried

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 March 17 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Oh.  This knocks me sideways.  However, I've been following the growth of a substantial Oxlade family website that would appear to suggest or confirm the following details - that add up...

JO's first family consised of Richard, b. Mitcham, c. 1793; d. Camberwell c. 1841 George, b. Mitcham 1795 and dyingin the same year
Saqrah, b. Mitcham 1796 and dying in 1812
Ann, b. Mitcham 1797 (no date of death so far)
Eliaberh, b. Mitcham 1798; d. 1812

JO himself, it seems, worked as a shoemaker in Finsbury after removal from Portsea up until 1841 and died in 1850.

In between, his family with Mary Ann Oxlade was as follows:
Henry, b. Finsbury c. 1820
John Thomas, b. 1824
Sarah Elizabeth, b. 1825
Mary Ann, b. 1829 

Given the names Sarah Elizabeth and Matry Ann, there would seem to be a stgrong connection.  In the end, then, your findings may have been of a different family.

Onwards and sideways

roly

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 March 17 06:57 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 date given above might suggest that John Oxlade was included in the 1841 census but I can't find him (my ineptitude, I suppose).  I've got the date of death in 1850 in Greenwich.

roly

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 March 17 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Just for clarification is John the son of William & Lettice baptised London 03 Jun 1770

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 March 17 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes- son of Wm. and Lettice and born 1770.

roly