Author Topic: john oxlade  (Read 4580 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: john oxlade
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Have you discounted this as you mentioned Islington earlier  :-\

OXLADE, MARY  ANN     age 65     
1863  Sept  Quarter
ISLINGTON  Volume 01B  Page 230

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, this could be more hassle for you  :'(  William Oxlade, father of John.  Compare these signatures!
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann, 65 in 1863, would have been fifteen when she married JO - certainly not impossible.  Is this a date of death?

No problem with William and his various marriages.  His father, be it said, was William also.  It's no 'hassle' but doesn't answer my questions.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
BumbleB - is this a
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:09 GMT (UK) »
BumbleB - is this a marriage notice?

roly

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:25 GMT (UK) »
The three signatures are taken from marriage entries - the first was for John's marriage to Sarah, and the other two are for William's marriages to Ursula and Eleanor.  I can't readily find an image for William and Lettice's marriage - I wish I could.  I was trying to point out, without saying so, that the signature on John's marriage entry bears absolutely no resemblance to the other two.

The tree on Ancestry says that Mary Ann is the widow of John Oxlade - Bookbinder - of 17 Frog Lane, Islington, and she died 28 September 1863. aged 65.  BUT that can't be right - the attached is the transcription of the Marriage Licence entry for John and Mary Ann in 1813.  He is 21 (and possibly older) and a BACHELOR, whilst Mary Ann is also 21.  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Evidently, at this time, the age of 21 could mask a series of of circumstances: a way of 'escaping' parental control or a way of disguising one partner's much older age.  This is why I suggested that the Mary Ann in question could have married at the age of 15!

Thanks, anyway, for the date of death.  I'll peruse the signatures at length.

If, though, Mary Ann was the widow of John Oxlade, how do we acocunt for the 'Ann'...in question.

Curioser and curioser.

roly

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 16 March 17 08:35 GMT (UK) »
As pointed out to me (!) there seems to be no doubt that an Ann Oxlade was born to a John Oxlade and his wife Ann in 1798 in Cripplegate, London.

Previous information had indicated that an Elizabeth Oxlade was born in 1797 in Cripplegate to a JO and his wife whom I thought to be Sarah (as discussed here).

I wonder: did Sarah die in 1798?  Did Ann take her place immediately?  And how long were John and Ann married?  John's marriage to Mary Ann Terry in 1813 posits an end and a beginning...

Alternatively, was my previous information re. Elizabeth wrong and that she was born to a second wife, not to Sarah?  Speculatively, perhaps the daughter was actually named Elizabeth Ann (there are records of such a birth).

Apropos John Oxlade's imprisonment, there are records that show him paying overseers for his wife's maintenance at this time; and between 1802 and 1904 he owed rent on his lodgings.  Things could not be worse - except for those deaths in 1812.

What, though, was JO doing between 1804 and 1813?  We have to assume that he was working at his trades as bookseller and bookbinder.  Surely, after imprisonment, he could not have taken up work as an attorney again.

As a sort of side-issue, serial marriages were not unknown - William Oxlade's trio help to confirm this.  And one would expect them to be matters of economic need.  Thus, William married Eleanor Waller when she was 17.  Thus, JO appears to have married Mary Ann when she was but 15 - the anomaly of registered ages of spouses has been noted already.

With respect to the signatures kindly provided for me, it is interesting that JO signed himself 'Oxlad'.

The puzzles continue.  I'm grateful for contributors' patience.

roly

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 16 March 17 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to have caused you so much confusion.

I'm wondering whether we do have more than one John Oxlade here, and indeed more than one William Oxlade.  Reasons:

As we have seen from John and Sarah's marriage entry, both John and William sign themselves as Oxlad in 1794, and William's signature does not match with the other signatures.

William Oxlade signs as Oxlade on the marriage entries for Ursula and Eleanor.  Do you have the actual marriage entry for William and Lettice to see whether that matches, or not? 

Do you have the actual marriage entry, and Marriage Allegation for John's marriage to Mary Ann Terry in 1813 - not just the transcriptions?  Again to see how that matches with anything else.

Land Tax records show that John Oxlade was paying this tax in St Leonard, Shoreditch 1808-1817, plus in 1813 Tower of London area. - Ancestry

Old Bailey - 31 October 1810 - John Oxlade, fruiterer in City Road. - www.londonlives.org

St Martin's Workhouse - John Oxlade pauper, admitted 11 December 1805, discharged 27 January 1808 (died) aged 61. - www.londonlives.org

So a number of John Oxlade personnel around in London at that time.  Sorry  :'(
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY