Author Topic: john oxlade  (Read 4641 times)

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: john oxlade
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 16 March 17 10:18 GMT (UK) »
I've only just joined this thread, so may well have missed something.

After a quick run through, I get the impression that your John Oxlade was not the John Oxlad who married Sarah in 1794. 

I think Your John was a batchelor when he married in Portsea in 1813.

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 16 March 17 10:54 GMT (UK) »
The William Oxlad signature, for the witness to John and Sarah's 1794 marriage, is the same as the signature of the William Oxlad who married Frances Davie in 1788 at St.Botolph Aldgate

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 16 March 17 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Right! So (a) the 'Oxlad' pursuit can be curtailed in favour of 'Oxlade (?).  This sets up yet more problems

(b) My infos, from the online Oxlade family archives, may actually lead in a direction other than to Portsea.  How, then, do you explain a John Oxlade printing all broadside ballads under the imprimateur of 'W. Oxlade' in Portsea when there's never a mention of a 'W. Oxlade' in Portsea at the time? (PS this is not a challenge, but a genuine question).  Maybe I put two and two together but JO's previous life, including prison sentence, the deaths of children in 1812 and the fact that printers and other tradesmen frequented Portsea during the Napoleonic wars only to encounter a decline in trade immediately afterwards that sent them back, sometimes, from whence they came, are all, surely, of note and, perhaps, matching up.  I'm not the only one to find out that the family (involved in printing) of Brian Blessed, the actor, did exactly this.
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 16 March 17 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hmm.  This needs a lot more time.  Looks like BumbleB is carefully chipping through to the facts.

Do you already have this?

1841  Clerkenwell - Peter Street

John Oxlade  65  Bookbinder               No
Mary Ann Oxlade   40   Bonnet maker  Yes
John Oxlade    15    Bookbinder            Yes

Possibly not your Oxlades, as Mary Ann was born in county, but John wasn't.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 16 March 17 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Lily - I note that Clerkenwell details.  I knew that Mary Ann was born in Midlesex so these dtails might fit, especially given all the other dates that have been assembled.

But I didn't quite finish (technology)...

I was going to say that it might seem that my invesigations have taken several wrong turns - but, then, so did the Oxlade family archives.

I'll chuck another one in.  JO worked out of the same Queens Street, Portsea, as did James Willimas, printer, a radical who was himself imprisoned along with William Hone.  I wonder if he helped JO settle in Portsea (if, indeed, JO did).

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 16 March 17 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm not dismissing your other queries, but just to address one -

Are you sure that the children who died in 1812 were John's?   According to the transcript of Winchester Marriage Licences, John was a bachelor when he married Mary Ann.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 16 March 17 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Well, they seem to have been the children of 'my' JO (double/treble checking in progress); and even if the JO who married Mary Ann was a batchelor, it's possible that this was, so to speak, a legal convenience in description as was '21' the proper age to marry.  And I have to come back to one of bedrock points: how did he suddenly come to print ballads with the name 'W. Oxlade' on them?  I've never found an instance of  aprinter taking up somebody else's stock unless the legend on copy states that certain ballads were printed 'for' a printer.  I can only think that JO was connected to 'W. Oxlade' in some way.

roly

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 16 March 17 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Well done Lily  :)

roly - I think you have to get the image of the marriage entry and Allegation for John and Mary Ann.  I'm assuming that John is part of your family tree, which is why I think you should confirm that you do in fact have the right marriage.

From your other post related to Oxlade, you were given this connection:

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~oxladefamilyhistory/occup_printers_booksellers.html

And in there there was reference to William Crawford in A List of London Bookbinders 1648-1815 by Ellic Howe:  In 1815 his son Alexander was apprenticed to John Oxlade of Union Street, Hoxton. This is the John Oxlade who was imprisoned without Trial because of his membership of the London Corresponding Society.

If this is correct, then John is certainly back in London by 1815

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 16 March 17 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what happened to John's brother, William?   (Bap.1768 s.of William & Lettice).

Maybe he was the one printing in Portsea.