Author Topic: 1896 - 1940 KETTERING Street Directory / Telephone / Rates etc Look-up - Please?  (Read 1966 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: 1896 - 1940 KETTERING Street Directory / Telephone / Rates etc Look-up - Please?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 March 17 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Cook :)

Was at this address in 1851

Bit of a coincidence : A Thomas Hood (attorney) of London, has an apprentice called Thomas Cook in 1778

Thanks Claire, quite interesting.

I'll have a look in the 1791 Universal British Directory (London Commerce etc.).

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1896 - 1940 KETTERING Street Directory / Telephone / Rates etc Look-up - Please?
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Claire and All

These are brief details of Gt. G, brothers.

John Sidney Hood
Served in the Boar War.

After the war, John Sidney stayed in South Africa,
Henry George Hood (his brother) joined him.

John Sidney Hood joined the 2nd South African Infantry in 1915.
Wounded 1917.
Removed to Field Hospital and died of chest wounds two days later.

IWGC / CWGC
HAUTE-AVESNES BRITISH CEMETERY

HOOD also given as Hoods and first Forename not apparently used by IWGC.
Words on memorial end ... Mizpah (so no historical family information).
Next of Kin appears to be his Sister [Edith Mary]:-
Miss Edith Hood, 143 Rockingham Road, Kettering, Northants.

Other Note
Discrepancy in the death month, from family information.

One other Hood Sister, Grace Cecilia Taylor.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 June 23 17:24 BST (UK) »

[This] Henry George Hood was born at the Carlton Hotel, Granby Street Leicester in 1880 ...

Henry G. Hood returned to Kettering, from Australia with wife Jean Hood in 1931 ...

I wanted to find more information please:-

1) who was living there at 51 & 53 Bath Road from 1896 to 1940?

Thank you.

Kind regards Mark

1930-1931 Electoral Roll
51 Bath Road, Kettering
Edith Mary HOOD

So the address that Henry George Hood returning from Australia and wife Jean Hood, gave for the 1931 shipping document was the address of his Sister.

Edith Mary Hood, a School Teacher lived at Kettering (before moving to Doncaster), so no unknown HOOD discovery, but the returning Henry G. Hood in 1931 was in my family line and corroborates other known family information.

John Johnson, 53 "Bath Road, Kettering" (newspaper). Jack Johnson (Kettering Electoral Roll).

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 January 24 21:51 GMT (UK) »

Henry George Hood was born at the Carlton Hotel, Granby Street Leicester in 1880 where my 2 X Gt. Grandfather Geo Hood, held the Victualler's Licence.

Henry G. Hood returned to Kettering, from Australia with wife Jean Hood in 1931 (but nothing known of his Australian jolly after WW 1).

Added: we think this might be Henry George Hood in 1930
C'wealth North Sydney. State-North Sydney 1930.
2535 Hood, Henry George, 50 Fitzroy Street, gardener, M
2536 Hood, Jean, 50 Fitzroy Street, home duties, F

1881 Census, Carlton Hotel, Granby Street, Leicester. 21, 23 Granby Street, Leicester
[?] Babing Pind, Head,
Eliza Pind, Wife, 37[?], born Norfolk, Wells
Ellen Dunn, Sister-in-Law, born Norfolk, Wells.

The Hinckley News, 9th April 1881
 ... the following licenses were also transferred:- "The Carlton Hotel", Granby Street, from George Hood to Benjamin B. Read, and "The Shah of Persia", Cumberland Street, from Benjamin Whitehead, deceased, to Wm Barnacle.

Read, Pead, or whatever the real name was, took a case to court for an unpaid bill and the Leicester Chronicle, 29th October 1881 titled the case ...
B. B. PEAD v. A. COX.— The plaintiff is the proprietor of the Carlton Hotel, Granby-street, and he sued the defendant, who is described as a gentleman, for £36, amount due on a hotel bill from August last.

Adjourned session B. B. Pead v. Arthur Cox.

Looked on Free BMD, but couldn't find a marriage to Eliza up to and including 1881?

Mark

ADDED:
1881 Census, Carlton Hotel, Granby Street, Leicester.
(Carlton) 21, 23 Granby Street, Leicester
Babington Pead, Head, Marr, 29,
Eliza Pead, Wife, Marr, 37[?], born Norfolk, Wells
Ellen Dunn, Sister-in-Law, born Norfolk, Wells.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Blue Lion, Leicester

At the link, a large scale map view from 1887 showing the Blue Lion on the corner of Granby Street and Belvoir Street with the Carlton Hotel next door:

http://tinyurl.com/bdf8u7mt

And this is streetview  of the same corner now, showing the Grand Hotel. The Carlton Hotel site is now the Metropole Hotel.

Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 09:02 GMT (UK) »
From the 4 December 1937 issue of the Leicester Chronicle, a photo of the Blue Lion Inn, purportedly from 1899

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 09:19 GMT (UK) »
The names over the doors (original post).

The names are Hastings and Clive, corresponding, I imagine, to Warren Hastings and Robert Clive, together credited with the foundation of the British Empire in India.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 09:39 GMT (UK) »
From the 4 December 1937 issue of the Leicester Chronicle, a photo of the Blue Lion Inn, purportedly from 1899

Thank you Alan for both replies and the link you found  https://tinyurl.com/bdf8u7mt

I found a bit online and posted at Reply 7 on this thread, but I didn't have the map.

My wife and I went to Leicester some years ago to look at the building numbering in Granby Street, Leicester and felt the Grand Hotel occupied the positions of several buildings which also included the Blue Lion and the Carlton Hotel.

The Conservative Club was at the rear in Belvoir Street, according to the map you found.

Thank you, I had not got a map.

The Library & General Newsroom on the map (if my memory is correct) was occupied by a HSBC Bank, Granby Street, which was closed.

I've seen the Blue Lion Inn photo somewhere (perhaps in a book), but not one of the Carlton Hotel.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, for the Hastings and Clive naming information.
 ----------
My Gt Gt Aunt lived at one address for a few years.

Mark