Author Topic: LEILL, LYLE, LISLE - BARONY parish abt 1700 to NE 1900  (Read 500 times)

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
LEILL, LYLE, LISLE - BARONY parish abt 1700 to NE 1900
« on: Saturday 11 March 17 16:40 GMT (UK) »
[size/size]My ancestor, Robert Lyle (various spellings) was shown by records to have married Margaret Masson in New Patrick, Lanark abt 1716.  They had abt eight children.  Their son, Robert, was born abt 1732 in Govan Parish.  He married Janet/Jean Taylor in Kilmalcolm, Renfrewshire in 1756.  Robert and Janet had abt seven children, mostly boys.  Their second child, James , was born in 1768 in Govan.  He and several brothers ultimately immigrated to America where they changed the spelling of their last name to LISLE.  Not everyone who came did so.
Many of the boys settled in Penn. and married here.  James married Elizabeth (Awrey?) He had 12 children.  I assumed he  had other wives; it was common with a family that large.  The last child was born in Jefferson county, Ohio.  John, James oldest son, married a women in Ohio, Rebecca Fankboner, in 1826.  Their six children were all born in Tuscarawas county.  James died while the last two children were still young.  A good friend, George Leeper, was on hand.  I don't know his status - guardian or what.  When James (Belle) Lisle was older, he married Mary Ann Stevens Leeper in 1850 in Guernsey county.  The first two children were born in Illinois; the remaining eleven were born in Iowa.  My great-grandfather, John Belle Lisle, born in Illinois married in Iowa; they had six children.  He died in Nebraska; my grandfather found him.  My grandfather, Frank Leroy Lisle, married in 1910.  He and my grandmother, Margaret, raised six children.  I've probably given  you more info than you needed, but I wanted to tie the past to the present.  Some of the oldest records I found online, some by mail, but the best day was the first time I visited Glasgow and found some records on microfiche.  Thanks for any input you may have on any ancestor.
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz