Author Topic: The family of Annie Ledingham LAW  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The family of Annie Ledingham LAW
« on: Saturday 11 March 17 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Scottish Board. 
I am researching for a friend whose whole family came from Scotland and I'm not getting on too well, out of the usual safety of the English records.  The lady above was born in 1908 and I have found that reference in Scotland's People.  I also know her parents were Robert LAW and Isabella BALFOUR who I'm told came from Dundee.  They had at least eight children apparently - 4 of each - but I haven't been able to find their marriage or an entry in 1911.  The 1901 census shows several Robert Laws with Isabella but I have no idea which if any is the right couple.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. 
Any help with the above and general guidance would be gratefully received.  Thank you. 

NC.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The family of Annie Ledingham LAW
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 March 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
The marriage is on Scotlands people website in 1903 in the Lochee district of Dundee although the wife has 2 names Isabella Balfour or Elizabeth McInnes purchasing the certificate will tell you more Wendy

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 March 17 17:12 GMT (UK) »
have also found 4 children born between 1903 and 1920 with a Balfour middle name in either the St Mary's district or Lochee district of Dundee

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 March 17 05:20 GMT (UK) »
I haven't been able to find their marriage or an entry in 1911.
I see that Wendy has found the marriage, but you might like to know that searches for marriages using both surnames mostly don't work on SP until about 1928. Use just one of the couple's names and you should be able to find it.

If you are still struggling, for example because both names are very common, and you have a known date of birth for a child (from 1861 onwards, or in 1855) then the birth certificate will tell you the date and place of the parents' marriage.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 March 17 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Isabella Law, nee Balfour died at the Dundee Royal Infirmary on 2nd Feb 1943. She was aged 50, so this will give you an approximate birth year for her. At the time, they lived at 21 Lawrence Street in Dundee.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 March 17 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Private Robert Law, 21 Lawrence Street was on a list of wounded in action in 1915, which appeared in the Dundee People's Journal.

Later newspapers from the area have R jnr and R snr of same address, showing flowers at the Lochee Amateur Show.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 March 17 08:48 GMT (UK) »
21 Lawrence Street was in a block of tenements, near the jute factories, so a number of families would have shared the same number, albeit lived in separate properties within the block.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 March 17 08:51 GMT (UK) »
David Balfour Law (nephew of Mary Ann) emigrated around 1930 on the Albertic. His wife was Edna Alberta Henry, Born 1916 in St Marys Ontario. (Marriage date unknown) They had 2 children one possibly still alive, and Marjorie born 1944 Cambridge Ontario died 2009.

and

I see David Balfour Law he was going to an Uncle Mr G Johnson. R P 22. Niagara On The Lakes. Ontario. Father Robert Law. 21 Lawrence Street. Dundee.

from this old Rootschat post:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=465590.0

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 March 17 08:54 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=94646

as you can see from above profile, lochee is still active on Rootschat, so I've sent a PM directing them to this thread.