Author Topic: Address "18 1/2 Holyhead Road", Wellington c1945  (Read 5129 times)

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
Address "18 1/2 Holyhead Road", Wellington c1945
« on: Saturday 11 March 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
This is the place of death given on my great-grandmother's death certificate in 1945, with her home address being in Monk Hopton, Bridgnorth. The cause of death was arteriosclerosis, and the informant states his/ her relationship as "occupier".

Am I correct in surmising that this is the Public Assistance Institution, formerly the Union Workhouse? What circumstances might have led to her being there, and are there any records extant for that year? Is there any way of finding out where she was buried?

We know very little about her life, and can't even be sure that my grandfather was made aware of her death (long story). Her (much younger!) husband died in the 1960s but we were ignorant even of her marriage until quite recently. This is all down to the power of the internet!

If anyone can shed any light I would be extremely grateful. I am based in West Yorkshire and on a very limited income, so unfortunately field trips to Shropshire are pretty much out of the question for now.

Many thanks
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Address "18 1/2 Holyhead Road", Wellington c1945
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 March 17 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Website page about Wellington Workhouse:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/WellingtonSalop/

It was built in 1874/5 on the North Side of Street Lane, which later became Holyhead Road.
After 1930, the Street Lane site became a Public Assistance Institution.
In 1948 it joined the new National Health Service as the Wrekin Hospital.

The site included an infirmary and a fever hospital.

I reckon the infirmary was one of the few places poorer people could get medical attention, and the address given was to avoid the stigma re Public Assistance Institution?
I have known this happen at other workhouses.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 March 17 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Yeah, thanks, I'd found that description online. What I want to know is whether the address used for the institution in 1945 is that on the death certificate. The property number doesn't exist on the 1939 Register, and the street was renamed after the 1911 census. Also, I was hoping to find some indication of the circumstances under which people would be admitted in the C20th pre-NHS, as my knowledge of the Poor Laws relates mainly to the C19th. Sorry for not being more specific. The Shropshire Archives website hints that there may be some admissions registers extant for that year, but I am too far away to be able to visit in person.

Many thanks

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 March 17 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi SW,

It may be worth opening a thread on 'Shropshire Lookup Requests' giving all known details as you may get lucky with someone going to the Archives?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 March 17 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Or, edit the heading to include 'Look-up' & ask a Mod to move to 'Look-up' board by using 'Report to Moderator' button on right side of thread.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 March 17 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Will copy-paste, as someone here may be able to give me the historical information about the address.

Thanks
Stitch

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Address: "18 1/2 Holyhead Road", Wellington c1945
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 March 17 00:15 GMT (UK) »
This is the place of death given on my great-grandmother's death certificate in 1945, with her home address being in Monk Hopton, Bridgnorth. The cause of death was arteriosclerosis, and the informant states his/ her relationship as "occupier".

Am I correct in surmising that this is the Public Assistance Institution, formerly the Union Workhouse? What circumstances might have led to her being there, and are there any records extant for that year? Is there any way of finding out where she was/ might have been buried?

I've read what little information is on the Shropshire Archives website (and also had it quoted to me elsewhere). I'm hoping to find out something more definitive regarding the address and the Poor Laws as they stood/ were implemented in the 1940s.

If anyone can shed any light I would be extremely grateful. I am based in West Yorkshire and on a very limited income, so unfortunately field trips to Shropshire are pretty much out of the question for now.

Many thanks
Stitch

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 March 17 00:28 GMT (UK) »

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 March 17 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Yeah, thanks, I'd found that description online. What I want to know is whether the address used for the institution in 1945 is that on the death certificate.

Did you look at the Workhouse Addresses page?
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/addresses/w.shtml