Author Topic: Robert Dixon, born 1868, Durham, married in Chorlton, died in Blackley 1922.  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Dixon, born 1868, Durham, married in Chorlton, died in Blackley 1922.
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Looks like we have found his end, but it's his beginning and in the middle of his life that's a problem isn't?

Thanks for instructions to find his grave.

Tom

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Dixon, born 1868, Durham, married in Chorlton, died in Blackley 1922.
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Cannot connect Robert to a father Arthur or find him prior to marriage.

Did wonder if he was an illegit child whose mother told him his father was deceased and named Arthur. Odd he hasn't given this name to his children.

The death cert interesting about the infp. Info is only as good as the informant.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Elzabels

Yes it is odd how just the one child bears his forename Robert as a second forename, and all the other children he and Lily have between them have her family's names on them. Certainly in those GRO searches, yes several women have children in Durham called Robert, but none of them marry anyone called Arthur. In fact I think I could only find one Arthur with a son Robert, but that family is still in existence in 1911. Yes exhaustive Census searching doesn't turn up Robert before his marriage anywhere. Anyway thanks for all your help and yours too Heywood. Looks like a no goer!

Tom

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 00:04 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a poke about on the GRO, and found these:

DIXON, ROBERT        JOPLING      Order
GRO Reference: 1868  M Quarter in DURHAM  Volume 10A  Page 364
DIXON, ROBERT        -        Order
GRO Reference: 1869  M Quarter in DURHAM  Volume 10A  Page 338

The second one, with no mmn, is therefore illegitimate. Personally, I'd be going for that certificate to get the mother's name. I can't find a likely-looking Robert Dixon on the 1871 census, but of course he could by then be living with a stepfather and using his name. With the mother's full name You could look for a marriage. It's quite common for someone who is illegitimate to "invent" a father for appearances sake on the marriage entry, and we've all heard the old joke about dad being the milkman?

If you don't get over to Salford in the next couple of weeks give me a nudge and I'll see what I can do next time I trek over t'Pennines to see Sprog2.

Stitch
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 25 March 17 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Stitch

Well I did send for that birth certificate as suggested: These are the details: Registration District DURHAM
1869 Birth in the Sub-district of Saint Oswald, in the County of Durham:
Register no. 80: Born on Sixth January 1869 at 25, Brandon Colliery, Robert, son of Margaret DIXON, (no father's name given), Informant, Margaret DIXON, Mother of 25, Brandon Colliery, on 18th January 1869, by Thomas Gowland, Registrar.

I also have a photograph now of that Gravestone in Southern Cemetery, Salford, which I think contains an inscription with a mistake on it.

Tom

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 25 March 17 20:05 GMT (UK) »
1861 3736/69/14

25 Brandon Colliery

John Dixon 49 yrs
Elizabeth Dixon   49 yrs
Margaret Dixon   25 yrs
John Dixon 17 yrs
Mary Ann Dixon   12 yrs
Thomas Dixon 10 yrs
Margaret A Dixon visitor 7 yrs
Isabela Dixon granddaughter 9 months

I posted this on the other thread.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=767174.
Tom Piper has found a baby death though for Robert Dixon, Durham. :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk