Author Topic: Raynors in Charing  (Read 1778 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Raynors in Charing
« on: Saturday 11 March 17 23:31 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone will be able to help me identify the parents of my ancestor Anne Raynor/Rayner from Charing.

Anne was born c1674 [it might have been 1673-1675] but different sources have given me conflicting info according regarding her parents.

I am interested in Anne Raynor christened 4 October 1674 in Charing. Familysearch has two entries for her [as does Ancestry] with one giving her parents as Thomas and Mary and the other saying the parents are Robert and Anne. Can anyone tell me what it says in the Parish Registers?

Of course Robert and Thomas could have been cousins who both had daughters christened on the same day. If that's the case I would be interested to know if one of the Annes dies young.

Thanks

Matt

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Raynors in Charing
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 March 17 07:17 GMT (UK) »
According to a transcription I have the parents were Thomas and Mary.

I cannot find any mention (in Charing) of parents Robert & Ann Rayner ovt.

Tony

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 March 17 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Some additional information.

The baptisms as transcribed at Charing for Thomas and Mary?

16 Jan 1670 Thomas s/o Thomas RAYNER
10 Mar 1672 Mary d/o Thomas & Mary RAYNER
04 Oct 1674 Anne d/o Thomas & Mary RAYNER

The only marriage that seems to fit the above, that I have found, was at Rodmersham (some 8 or so mile NNE of Charing) as follows,

13 Apr 1669 Thomas Rayner to Mary Brook

May be of some help.

Tony

13 Apr 1669 Thomas Rayner to Mary Brook

Offline knotin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 March 17 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I have an Ann Raynor bapt. 4 Oct 1674 at Charing in my tree. She was the daughter of Thomas Raynor and his wife Mary Simons. She was married 29 April at St. Cosmus and St. Damiens in Challock to Henry Tuff. She would be my 7x Great Grandmother.

Her father, Thomas Raynor married Mary Simons, 22 Nov 1664, Saint Mary Bredin, Canterbury, Kent.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 March 17 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi redtonyt and knotin

Thanks to both of you for your replies to my puzzle. It now seems that we have a new puzzle on our hands.

It seems definite that Anne's parents were Thomas and Mary based on the information in the parish registers. However the identity of her mother is now a puzzle.

I am also descended from Anne Raynor and Henry Tuff who married in Challock on 24 April 1694 [interestingly one transcript gives his name as Buff]. The question now appears to be is her mother Mary Brook or Mary Simmons?

The only Simmons I have found are in the Elham area of Kent.

I look forward to hearing both your replies and hope we can sort this puzzle between us.

Many thanks
Matt

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 March 17 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Matt,

The marriage at St Mary Bredin, Canterbury took place by Licence.  According to the Licence Register, Thomas Rayner was a Yeoman, bachelor, aged 23, of Newington next Hythe.  Mary Simons was a virgin, aged 18, of Lyminge.  This couple appear to have had two children at Newington as follows,
1666 Feb 2 Francis d/o Thomas & Mary RAYNER
1670 Apr 9 Thomas s/o Thomas & Mary RAYNER

Then I have found these baptism at Lyminge,
1672 July 28 Judith d/o Thomas & Mary RAINER
1675 Sept 5 Mary d/o Thomas & Mary RAINER

There is a burial at Lyminge of a Mary Rainer dated 11 November 1675.

Following the above, a Thomas Rayner (Widower) of Lyminge married (Elizabeth Gruell) by Licence again at St Mary Bredin.

Not definitive but may help in decision making.

Tony

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 March 17 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Matt,

The marriage at St Mary Bredin, Canterbury took place by Licence.  According to the Licence Register, Thomas Rayner was a Yeoman, bachelor, aged 23, of Newington next Hythe.  Mary Simons was a virgin, aged 18, of Lyminge.  This couple appear to have had two children at Newington as follows,
1666 Feb 2 Francis d/o Thomas & Mary RAYNER
1670 Apr 9 Thomas s/o Thomas & Mary RAYNER

Then I have found these baptism at Lyminge,
1672 July 28 Judith d/o Thomas & Mary RAINER
1675 Sept 5 Mary d/o Thomas & Mary RAINER

There is a burial at Lyminge of a Mary Rainer dated 11 November 1675.

Following the above, a Thomas Rayner (Widower) of Lyminge married (Elizabeth Gruell) by Licence again at St Mary Bredin.

Not definitive but may help in decision making.

Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for the useful information. I'll have a look into these details and hopefully this will help me sort out my Raynor puzzle.

The question that remains is how does Mary Brook fit into this [if at all]? How close is Lyminge to Charing in comparison to Rodermersham?

I am pretty sure that Mary Simmons is connected to the Simmons in Elham so I will go back to look at those and the Wills I have for them to see if I can find a connection. I will also see if there are any Wills for the name Brook or Raynor to see if they can provide any clues.

Many thanks

Matt

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Matt,

Lyminge is just above Folkestone and about 15 miles (as the crow flies) south-east of Charing.

According to Family Search there is a Mary Brook baptised at Charing on 25 Sept 1647 the daughter of John.  Unfortunately there is another transcription with Martha the d/o Alin!  There are no other Brook baptisms in the same era at Charing.

Not much help at this time.

Tony

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Matt,

I looked at the (filmed copy) of the Charing Register this morning.  For what it is worth, my transcription of the previously mentioned baptism is,
1647/8 Feb 25 Mary d/o Alin BROOKE

On a quick look it seems likely that, the above Mary's mother was also Mary.  I shall leave it to you but the mother may have died as Mary Boughton in 1688 (at Charing) leaving a Will as,
Boughton Mary Charing 1688 1688 PRC/32/55/335a PRC/31/158 B/3  1688

A possible?

Tony