Author Topic: Ward family roma heritage  (Read 5618 times)

Offline Paul Raynsford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ward family roma heritage
« on: Saturday 11 March 17 23:38 GMT (UK) »
I have allways heard the story's as a young lad about my mums family heritage decending from a roma gypsie family the family name is ward which I know is a common traveling name currently how ever my own linage of the ward line has been settled some time before my grandfarther I cam trace the family back to the mid to late 1700s and I the occupation of Harker, street trader, rag and bone man are all among the known occupation of those I've found ranging from the mid 1700s onward the family seems to have came from mainly around the southern areas of England london from the late 1800s onward oxford and other places other family members went further north in the mid to late 1800s but I lose track there just wondered of anyone had any inforation relating to a roma gypsie family by the Name of ward the occupation details I have relate to my 2nd great grandfather backwards his name was aurthur thomas james ward  1843-1892 he married a sarah hannah lucy courtneidge 1844-1928 he was the son of Thomas ward 1814-1879 and Mary Ann Maria Waters 1820-1874 Thomas ward 1814-1878 was the son of James ward 1785-? and maria willoughby 1775-1817 james was the son of  james ward from 1743-? and Jane smallbones 1750-? he was the son of james ward 1712-1781 and Dorothy ? 1700-1768 if anyone could provide any further information I would be grateful or if anyone could possibly confirm a roma family before settling would be even better my names are 100% correct dates may vary give or take five or so years and yes there was three james ward in a r

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ward family roma heritage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 March 17 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi if you have the incorrect father for John Ward who on your other thread married Jessie Brown, how can you guarantee the families shown above?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paul Raynsford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 March 17 15:45 GMT (UK) »
i have been over my research and upon doing a Google search on a few family members I know are correct I found conformation on the rest of the history as far as thomas ward and Maria willoughby I then found information that I can confirm from other sources on the three generations back from there using ancestery.co.uk my main source of information has come from wardancestry.com which has been published by a living relative of mine that I did not know I have since attempted to contact her and her farther. anyhow so yes right back to thomas ward and Maria willoughby is 100% correct and confirmed by extensive research those beyond I am 90% sure on

Hi if you have the incorrect father for John Ward who on your other thread married Jessie Brown, how can you guarantee the families shown above?
Keyboard86

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 March 17 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Well, That's interesting, Paul! I just scanned over ye posts there and " Maria Willoughby " caught my eye.

Seemed a random enough name, to me. But, then, 'just because', I consulted the Book of Bob (Check one of those links under my avatar there).

Lo and bloody behold!!!  :o Willoughby 1891 - 1913. Kent and Sussex. I'm absolutely gob smacked!
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Keggles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 04:52 BST (UK) »
Lead on ward... I'm in similar situation. Out of my 9 aunts and Uncles no one can tell me their Grandparents name or indeed their dad's siblings. I can't find any records or graves, suspect travellers didn't get too official.
One thing I've been told is before the Kerrigan Travellers came to Ballinasloe they were in Knock County Mayo. There my Great Grandmother married my Great Grandfather Kerrigan. Apparently it was her second marriage. The first one was a Ward traveller.

Offline IowaToni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 December 17 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I am beginning to think I should add "traveler" to my suspect list of reasons I can't find my 2x great grandfather Daniel D. (Dimmick, Dimock, etc.) Ward b. 1804/5 PEI. The only Ward family in PEI at about that time was Ebenezer and Peggy Clark Ward in the 1798 census. There was an Ebenezer Ward who left NY with the Loyalists in 1783. Same Ebenezer? He is the only person I have found to even research and there is nothing so far for that particular Ebenezer Ward.
The Roma book is $104 and the nearest library to have it is over 600 miles from me.
I feel like the cat who is trying to catch the laser beam.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 December 17 05:53 GMT (UK) »
WILLOUGHBY (Ref Journal of the Romany and Traveller Family History Society) <------ Maria's surname also appears here http://www.ausgenealogy.com/Avon/JJGypsyIndex.pdf

If you can find her in relation to the Gypsy Willoughby family that could be good evidence beyond the Ward family's occupations. https://rtfhs.org.uk

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Willoughby Re: Ward family roma heritage
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 May 19 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have a Charlotte Willoughby married Thomas Powell b.1798. I have Charlotte's parents down as a William and an Elizabeth. Thomas was born in Southwark, Surrey, which was south London's gateway to Kent, so your link to Kent caught my eye.

Also found a Sussex Romany association with the name (variant?) Willowby.

http://romanyconnections.wikifoundry.com/page/1901+Census%3A

Well, That's interesting, Paul! I just scanned over ye posts there and " Maria Willoughby " caught my eye.

Seemed a random enough name, to me. But, then, 'just because', I consulted the Book of Bob (Check one of those links under my avatar there).

Lo and bloody behold!!!  :o Willoughby 1891 - 1913. Kent and Sussex. I'm absolutely gob smacked!
Lee, Fountain, Stevens, Kemp