Author Topic: Identifying coat of arms  (Read 598 times)

Offline tentate

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Identifying coat of arms
« on: Sunday 12 March 17 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi! , this is my first post and I didn't know were to post it!
I tried once and no result, let's see now.
I wanted to know if somebody could help identifying a coat oh arms in a ring that belonged my grandfather .

Thanks for helping!

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying coat of arms
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 March 17 06:01 GMT (UK) »
It seems to be a seal bearing the Prince of Wales feathers in a coronet.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 March 17 09:14 GMT (UK) »
The horizontal hatching on the shield usually indicates blue, although some people used it for red.

The helmet above the shield indicates a Royal person (a gold helmet with bars).

The problem is that the arms of the Prince of Wales are the Royal Arms, with a white "label" across the top?

The Royal Badge of Wales is quarterly, gold and red, with a lion in each quarter.

It's possibly a ring from one of the many organisations that use the Prince-of-Wales feathers?
Maybe an Army Regiment?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 March 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
The style  is European, probably Germanic. That covers a vast amount of area, more than today's Germany.

The horizontal lines are from the "Petra Sancta" method of depicting colour in a black and white drawing and represent blue.

Because of the European style of the arms, I do not think that they have anything to do with the Prince of Wales, nor any other person of Royalty. Rather they are just 3 feathers issuing from a Count's coronet.

Above the helmet, which is probably steel, is the crest. A "panache" of 5 feathers issuing from a ducal coronet (nothing to do with Dukes, just the name of the coronet). This is a pan-European crest used as a space filler. Many, many families use the same crest there. (In Spain, crests are unknown, but artists use a panache as an artistic trick to fill up and balance a canvas.)

It is my opinion that this was a seal (for documents) and of European origin. There was a time, in Europe, when most business people and most tradesmen would use a seal, but did not have a coat of arms.

It is a handsome piece of jewellery and there is no reason (legally nor morally) why you should not continue to use it as a seal in your family.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia