Author Topic: Missing in Netherlands  (Read 494 times)

Offline lininberks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing in Netherlands
« on: Sunday 12 March 17 10:49 GMT (UK) »
In 1837 in Leiden, Adolph Krajenbrink and Johanna Antonia Reynders had a daughter, out of wedlock.

https://www.erfgoedleiden.nl/collecties/personen/zoek-op-personen/weergave/register/layout/blader/id/8d6af02c-4067-251c-b839-48b21702d751?image=1d03df66-dd1f-a05b-6e2a-7374f5e30f16 (top of right hand page)

The little girl died in 1838  -https://www.erfgoedleiden.nl/collecties/personen/zoek-op-personen/weergave/register/layout/blader/id/4feea107-1c4c-0abc-0238-fe4da75614ff?image=b4aac3e4-f9b0-9680-f34c-63a8b4052632 and the death was registered by her father.

On 14 June 1837, when the birth was registered, Adolph was a corporal in the 12e Afdeling Infanterie, aged 34. On 22 June 1838, for the death, he was a Fusilier, aged 36.  There seems to be no trace of either Adolph/Adolf or Johanna either before or after the birth and death of their daughter.  Can anyone find anything at all on them?  I don't think that Adolph is one of the ones from Arnhem.

I have looked through the military register for the 12e Infantry on FamilySearch, but he is not listed in there, but that only goes up to 1830.

Thanks

Offline cathnl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Missing in Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 15:21 GMT (UK) »
This is surprisingly difficult, given how good Dutch records normally are!  I found a Johanna Antonia Reijnders on wiewaswie.nl born 10 March 1812 in Arnhem, which ties in with her declared age on the birth certificate of her daughter.  But have otherwise drawn a blank so far.  Can I ask why you are looking at this couple?  Perhaps searching via siblings could help?

Offline lininberks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for looking.  I am tracing the Krajenbrink family tree, and the name Adolf/Adolph is not very common, the only 2 I have so far found in Netherlands being father and son from Arnhem.  I then received a hint informing me of the death of the child, father Adolph.  I was wondering if he is related to the family in some way, so was trying to trace him back or forward, but so far no luck.

It's interesting that Johanna seems to originally have been from Arnhem too - maybe there is some connection.  I think she went on to have another daughter out of wedlock in Leiden in 1844, named Christina, but no mention of Adolf in that birth.

I am completely stumped on this one, he really doesn't want to be found.

Offline cathnl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Perhaps you are ruling out the Arnhem option too quickly?  The Adolph Krajenbrink 1798-1848 is only two years older than the birth certificate for Wilhelmina would suggest.  And Adolph's wife dies in 1834, so might have prompted a move to Leiden. 

Offline lininberks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 17:57 GMT (UK) »
It certainly is possible - He was only mid thirties when his wife died, she had been 23 years older than him and he had married when only 18, so maybe fancied a little adventure and joined the army to see the world, lopping a couple of years off his age.

Comparing his signature at the birth of Willemina with that at the birth of his son in 1816 do you think they look similar?

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a457/lindaquanstrom/k%20sig%202_zpsxxgqocvt.png[/img]][URL[/url]

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a457/lindaquanstrom/Krajenbrink%20sig_zpsibkvppim.png[/img]][URL[/url]

Offline cathnl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 18:36 GMT (UK) »
They could be one and the same.  I've also looked at the birth and death certificates for Gerrit (1820-1820) and the signature seems to tie in.  According to this family tree - https://www.genealogieonline.nl/stamboom-krajenbrink/I1845.php - Adolph was an employee in the Quartermasters at Alkmaar.  Perhaps this is mentioned in his marriage certificate? So the army connection might also be a common factor.

Offline lininberks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 22:59 GMT (UK) »
I've gone through all the marriage records and haven't seen any mention of the army at Alkmaar, but could easily have missed something as my knowledge of Dutch is pretty low.

Taking everything into account, I think that it is quite likely to be my Adolph, so thank you very much for your help in this matter.

Offline cathnl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 10:58 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome.