Author Topic: Spollen family, 21 Temple Cottages, Broadstone, Dublin.  (Read 6929 times)

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spollen family, 21 Temple Cottages, Broadstone, Dublin.
« on: Sunday 12 March 17 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There was a Mary Spollen, aged 33,born Ireland, boarding with my relatives in the 1940 US census. I have established when Mary (Josephine) Spollen came to America, what she worked at and when and where she died in America.My query is with her family back in Ireland.Mary had a younger sister(who also emigrated to USA) called Catherine. Her birth record in 1908 is (strangely) not available on the Irish Genealogy civil records website but can be found on the Familysearch website recorded as Catherine Mary Spollen. I know it is not that unusual for 2 sisters to both have the same forename,one using it as her primary forename and the other sister having it as a secondary forename.But what is highly unusual is that another sister was born in 1915 and was given the name Mary (Magdalen) Spollen. Bear in mind her older sister Mary (Josephine) Spollen was still alive.
Any thoughts? Also,can anyone establish what became of the younger Mary (Magdalen) Spollen?

Thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Spollen family, 21 Temple Cottages, Broadstone, Dublin.
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 March 17 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies Aghadowey, especially for finding Catherine Mary on the Irish Genealogy civil records website.It's more than I was able to do!
So, 3 sisters, all alive and all called Mary! Pretty darn unusual,if you ask me!!
Neither was I able to find a record for the first born sibling, James Joseph, in 1903, on the Irish Genealogy civil records website.I am going to have another look now using the surnames Spullen, Spallen etc in case of another incorrect indexing,but if you can locate it I would be very grateful.

Thanks again.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 March 17 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Try using Sp*n

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 March 17 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Patrick Spollen & Mary Keegan married Feb.1902-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1902/10274/5739200.pdf

LDS show birth Jan./Mar.1903 quarter but could have been born between Nov.1902-Mar.1903-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FBK1-XMQ

No luck finding James Joseph's birth yet but have done searches for Sp*n, mother Keegan, first names James, etc.  :-\

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 March 17 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Sinann, thanks for the reply and the advice.Unfortunately,like Aghadowey, I have drawn a blank for James Joseph Spollen.
Aghadowey, thanks for the additional help. I love your sense of propriety, assuming that 9 months had to elapse from the date of marriage until the birth of James Joseph. ;) (No offence intended to the Spollen family).
Thanks again to both of you.
The search continues.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 March 17 11:19 GMT (UK) »
My birthdate calculation was based on time allowed to register birth rather than parents marriage. As my grandmother used to say 'the first one comes any time, the rest take 9 months'  ;D

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile