Author Topic: Marine Fireman  (Read 1955 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Re: Marine Fireman
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 March 17 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 March 17 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Without confusing you all - Joseph had a cousin, Joseph Fleming b. 12 April 1874- Calton, Glasgow. Haven't found his death as yet, or what his occupation was.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 March 17 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Without confusing you all - Joseph had a cousin, Joseph Fleming b. 12 April 1874- Calton, Glasgow. Haven't found his death as yet, or what his occupation was.

cupcake

After a while searching I have found the above, Joseph Fleming b. 1874 - death. He died 1899 in Glasgow aged 25 years. He was an Engineers Labourer.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 09:43 BST (UK) »
Have been searching for Joseph FLEMING's death. He was born 1884 and from his marriage certificate 1909 Glasgow, he was a Marine Fireman.

He is listed on the ship Lake Erie 1911/1912 Glasgow to London.  Glasgow Electoral Records show he is with Sarah (wife) until 1926 and again 1928-1931. Can't think where he would be between 1926 & 1928 and after 1931.

He wife died 1967 Glasgow - but can't find a death for Joseph. . Have been searching for Joseph FLEMING's death. He was born 2 April 1884 Cumbria, England. His parents were William FLEMING & Margaret Fleming (Gillespie) and from his marriage certificate 1909 Glasgow, he was a Marine Fireman. His wife was Sarah Loughran.

He is listed on the ship Lake Erie 1911/1912 Glasgow to London. 

UPDATE:
Received  Sarah's death Certificate yesterday and says she was a widow and Joseph was a Merchant Seaman.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 16:39 BST (UK) »
Have been searching for Joseph FLEMING's death. He was born 1884 and from his marriage certificate 1909 Glasgow, he was a Marine Fireman.

He is listed on the ship Lake Erie 1911/1912 Glasgow to London.  Glasgow Electoral Records show he is with Sarah (wife) until 1926 and again 1928-1931. Can't think where he would be between 1926 & 1928 and after 1931.

He wife died 1967 Glasgow - but can't find a death for Joseph in Scotland.

cupcake

UPDATE:
Received  Sarah's death Certificate yesterday and says she was a widow and Joseph was a Merchant Seaman.

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 March 17 18:32 BST (UK) »
With a friends help I am sure I have found Joseph FLEMING'S death. The only query is , is his birthplace is listed as Dumfries - he was born in Cockermouth, Cumbria. His age is a year out as he was born in 1884.

Doesn't give too much detail as to place - date  or port of registry.

Can anyone give me any other information, please.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 March 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, Scotlands People

Joseph FLEMING - 42 - 1927 - 041/MR 304 - MARINE RETURN

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 April 17 21:28 BST (UK) »
There is a Board of Trade Wreck report re the loss of the vessel LADY COMBE. O/N 142877
http://www.plimsoll.org/resources/SCCLibraries/WreckReports/14036.asp
Seems she was a Bucket Dredger en route to Lagos Nigeria.
Little bit of mystery surrounding her loss and after. She was still on the Mercantile Navy List in 1937 and her logbook and crew agreements has one for 1928 and one for 1938. Although I think the later could  be a catalogue mistake.
There may be some personal detail in the 1928 Logbook and crew agreement.
You can get a copy here.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=142877

In my opinion, this man is not your Joseph Fleming. I found the info you have on the 13th of March but dismissed it when you replyed that he was born in Cockermouth. Merchant seamen regularly lied about there age. But there place of birth?
I may be wrong in this assumption, very often am and as this is the only lead you have you need to follow it up to eliminate or confirm.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 April 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
There is a Board of Trade Wreck report re the loss of the vessel LADY COMBE. O/N 142877
http://www.plimsoll.org/resources/SCCLibraries/WreckReports/14036.asp
Seems she was a Bucket Dredger en route to Lagos Nigeria.
Little bit of mystery surrounding her loss and after. She was still on the Mercantile Navy List in 1937 and her logbook and crew agreements has one for 1928 and one for 1938. Although I think the later could  be a catalogue mistake.
There may be some personal detail in the 1928 Logbook and crew agreement.
You can get a copy here.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=142877

In my opinion, this man is not your Joseph Fleming. I found the info you have on the 13th of March but dismissed it when you replyed that he was born in Cockermouth. Merchant seamen regularly lied about there age. But there place of birth?
I may be wrong in this assumption, very often am and as this is the only lead you have you need to follow it up to eliminate or confirm.

Thank you for the addresses you have given me and I will look at them. Yes, there seems to be a mystery surrounding her loss and after.
I shall check to see if there is some personal detail in the 1928 Logbook and crew agreement.

You say this man isn't my Joseph - I thought this too, because of his place of birth, I have his birth certificate to confirm his place of birth. That said, he was at that address when he married in 1909. Yes, I will need to follow up (if I get the relevent information).

Thank you once again.

cupcake