Author Topic: Richardsons in Childerditch  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richardsons in Childerditch
« on: Sunday 12 March 17 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have an ancestor Ann Richardson who was baptised in Childerditch in 1797, daughter of Robert and Ann, and would like to find out more about her family, but I have drawn a blank online with Findmypast and FamilySearch and FreeReg.

I have an incomplete set of fiche for Childerditch and have only found a certain amount of information. I have looked at the baptisms for 1775-1832 and besides Ann have found:
Elizabeth 1792, James 1795, and Eliza in 1807 – which suggests that they weren’t always baptising in the same church, maybe some are baptised in Bulpham?
I also looked in burials for 1780-1812 and found only Robert in 1785 and Elizabeth in 1811.
Needless to say no marriages were found in Childerditch for that period!!

I would appreciate any help with this family
Helen

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Richardsons in Childerditch
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 17 16:02 GMT (UK) »
In the 1851 census there is a James Richardson b. Childerditch, wife Ann b. Bulpha and daughter Sarah A P Richardson aged 12. b. Childerditch. In the 1841 census it looks like the same family all born Childerditch James/Ann children Eliza 15, George 10, Ann and Maria both 8, and if it is the same family there should be Sarah who would have been 2. There is a Sarah on there who is aged 2, but she has a different surname-this however may well be her, so you would need to sort that one out somehow. I also found a John Richardson on the 1841 aged 30 who was down as a Bailiff with wife Mary born Childerditch.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 17 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paco
Thanks, that definitely looks like Ann's brother and looks like another sibling too. The parents of Sarah A P Surrey in 1841 are William and Sarah Pelter, and it turns out that they married in 1838 as William Poulter and Sarah Ann Richardson. The mother Sarah Ann died in 1842 and William in 1877 (apparently without remarrying) so that's why the different surnames for the daughter, guess the uncle adopted her.
So that certainly indicates there are more siblings to find!
Thanks again
Helen

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 05:15 GMT (UK) »
The Robert Richardson who died 1785 was of Tillingham Hall, Childerditch, from his will probated 27 May 1785, wife Elizabeth, sons Robert and Thomas, daughters Mary and Susannah.
Nephew William Squires of Barnards, nephew Thomas Richardson of Downham, brother in law George Shelley the younger of White Chapel London.
The farm I now hold under my Lord Petrie, is to be kept by his wife so as to support his children, the rest of his freehold and copyhold, tenements to be sold, wife and children to share and share alike.
Executors, Wife Elizabeth , the two nephews and his brother in law. 
Ref Essex Record Office D/AEW 39/10/8

It was probably his wife Elizabeth who was buried 1811

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Ann Richardson names her father as James Richardson, labourer  when she married William Poulter 12 August 1838, his father was Charles.

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amondg
Many thanks for all that information, what a treasure trove is that will, with info about another two generations! So definitely worth another look at earlier slides of my microfich.

Looks like the info about Sarah Ann the mother makes Sarah Ann the daughter a granddaughter of James and Ann, not niece!

Sarah Ann Poulter nee Richardson might have been born in 1817 in Bulpham or a neighbouring parish to James and Ann who would have been 21 at that time, unfortunately I haven't been able to find her.

Helen

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 March 17 05:12 GMT (UK) »
The only one I saw at Bulphan is Mary daughter of James and Ann Richardson, labourer bap 28 June 1818.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 March 17 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Do you have all the children of James and Ann Richardson, I have them if needed.

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 March 17 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I would like to confirm Sarah Ann Richardson's baptism if you have it please