Author Topic: Jane or Jennefer CHEGWIDEN  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane or Jennefer CHEGWIDEN
« on: Monday 13 March 17 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Jane or Jennefer CHEGWIDEN married Nicholas SPARGO at Stithians on the 29th Jan 1757. Can anyone help me with the names of her parents or where and when she was born. TIA. :)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Jane or Jennefer CHEGWIDEN
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 March 17 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Hallo, Chris

I don't know the answer yet, but I have a director ancestor Elizabeth GROSE (1758-85) who married William CHEGWIDDEN (1758-1785) at Stithians on 28 Mar 1785.

The Stithians parish registers (images on familysearch) are in poor condition but are transcribed on the Cornwall OPC and FreeReg, so I will see what I can find.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 March 17 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hallo, Chris

I don't know the answer yet, but I have a director ancestor Elizabeth GROSE (1758-85) who married William CHEGWIDDEN (1758-1785) at Stithians on 28 Mar 1785.

The Stithians parish registers (images on familysearch) are in poor condition but are transcribed on the Cornwall OPC and FreeReg, so I will see what I can find.

Philip

Thanks.  That would be appreciated. Jane would perhaps be a generation earlier than your William. I suspect that there is a connection to the parish of Constantine but how many generations back that is I don't know.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 March 17 15:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible baptism:

Jane daugh of Edmund SEEGEEDEN baptised February 1724 (date missing due to damaged pages in register)

This is from the parish register image on familysearch.  I see from transcriptions there are a few other Segeeden baptisms in the early 1700s, so it could be worth cross-checking to see if the fathers were baptised as Chegwidden.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 March 17 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Chegwin and Chegwidden may have been interchangeable especially taking pronunciation into account.
In which case there is a Jane Chegwin baptised in Constantine in 1728 that would fit the bill.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 March 17 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Chegwin and Chegwidden may have been interchangeable especially taking pronunciation into account.
In which case there is a Jane Chegwin baptised in Constantine in 1728 that would fit the bill.

Fizzy
I have also found a Ginifer christened at Kenwyn in 1736. The date is a better fit and one of the siblings had Kea noted on their record. Both of these had a father named John. But location wise possibly the first one is a better fit.

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 March 17 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I was saddened to find out that within a few years her husband and at least one of the children had died if not both.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 March 17 21:34 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible baptism:

Jane daugh of Edmund SEEGEEDEN baptised February 1724 (date missing due to damaged pages in register)

I think that this Jane would be too old. Although she married in 1757 she remarried after her husbands death and had her last child in 1780. SEEGEEDEN is an interesting thought though.

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 March 17 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I was saddened to find out that within a few years her husband and at least one of the children had died if not both.

Fizzy
Apparently she then goes on to marry William MARTIN. Her children with Nicholas SPARGO were Rebekah and Thomas. Interestingly enough one of William and Jane's daughters also married a Thomas SPARGO but obviously it has to be a different Thomas.