Author Topic: USAAF in Yorkshire of nearby counties  (Read 1148 times)

Offline garbfink

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
USAAF in Yorkshire of nearby counties
« on: Monday 13 March 17 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.

I've been slamming my head against a brick wall for the last three years now. I'm not sure if is ever going to get broken through but we'll see.

Im trying to trace a USAAF individual who was present in Yorkshire or close to during late 1942 early 1943.

My military knowledge is pretty rubbish but if anyone can point me in the right direction of what bases in your score may have been used by the USAAF during that period then I would appreciate it.

Also are the records for all usaaf personnel in tact or have some been lost etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

All the best

Simon.
Carr - Yorkshire
Fulcher - Middlesex
Garbutt - Yorkshire
Kay - United States

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: USAAF in Yorkshire of nearby counties
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 March 17 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Have you searched at the US National Archives?  Here https://www.archives.gov/research/guide-fed-records/groups/018.html for example are the records they hold.  An email  https://www.archives.gov/contact may get some guidance?  They also hold veterans records (subject to some restrictions) (top tab) if you find your individual.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 March 17 08:14 GMT (UK) »
This website professes to name all the USAAF bases in England from 1942.

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/usaaf%20list.htm

Added:  If you just google "USAAF bases in England during WW2" there is a long list of sites offering information.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 March 17 08:53 GMT (UK) »
It appears that 75% of service records were lost in a fire in 1973.

https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/United_States_World_War_II_Service_Records
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline garbfink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 March 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help.

I'm gong to have a look at all of that tonight.

S.
Carr - Yorkshire
Fulcher - Middlesex
Garbutt - Yorkshire
Kay - United States

Offline Hornchurch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 October 21 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all.

I've been slamming my head against a brick wall for the last three years now. I'm not sure if is ever going to get broken through but we'll see.

Im trying to trace a USAAF individual who was present in Yorkshire or close to during late 1942 early 1943.

My military knowledge is pretty rubbish but if anyone can point me in the right direction of what bases in your score may have been used by the USAAF during that period then I would appreciate it.

Also are the records for all usaaf personnel in tact or have some been lost etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

All the best

Simon.
'

Simon,   I am MANY years (too?), late here, as I've only just this sec; read your post.

My immediate reaction was (& still is), that THE base you may well be looking for, is "Goxhill".

I'm a lifelong (since 1960's) Military aircraft enthusiast & have always been interested in the USAAF

"Goxhill" was THE base that screamed-out at me, as I read your post, it's seems like the ideal candidate.

Whilst the Wiki' entry would suggest it's in Northern Lincolnshire (well, it is !), it's actually considered to be part of 'Kingston Upon Hull'  (i.e, Hull, but "on the South Bank, hence Linc's)

Kingston upon Hull being "in the East Riding of Yorkshire" definitely fits your bill.

The Yanks took it over in August 1942 - (or, "late 1942" as you posted, so it fits-in well)

American USAAF Bombers started slowly, as things GRADUALLY built up & even the initial USAAF bombing raids were carried-out by reverse 'Lease-Lend' Douglas Bostons (USA-UK-USA), as the fledgling 8th Air Force had to (rather embarrassingly), borrow RAF '2-Group' Bostons to initiate their own raids, whilst waiting for the early B.24s & B.17s to turn-up.

Goxhill was part of the build up for the USAAF's 8th & 9th Air Force & was/is THE furthest USAAF base up THAT side of the East Coast that I know of - It was known as "Station # 345"

https://warbirdsnews.com/aviation-museum-news/the-first-of-many-raf-goxhill.html

Here's a fine link (ABOVE), showing you it's (former) Tower & various wartime shots of P.38s & P.47s

Hope that helps (?),  even "if" I am a Gazillion years to late, to the party   ::)
Am interested in N.W.Norfolk Hudsons in the Docking, Sedgeford, Heacham & Hunstanton regions,