Author Topic: FAMILYSEARCH.ORG problems with viewing images of Parish Registers  (Read 7695 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FAMILYSEARCH.ORG problems with viewing images of Parish Registers
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks everyone.

I have received an e-mail from family search which states that the Record Office has cancelled their
Contract.

Let's hope that Ancestry will share the images with Familysearch next year.

I do have account with Ancestry, but many people do not and this was a wonderful free access.

Spendlove

Oh what a shame!
I don't have an account with Ancestry, so that means more trips to the library.
And I always find searching on Ancestry a real chore, especially if you're doing a wide sweep for information - you get all sorts of stuff nowhere near related to what you want.
The images on familysearch were so easy to get, but my nearest LDS library is a 50 mile round trip.
I wonder why the Record Office cancelled the contract?

Royalties, the LDS does not pay royalties as they do not charge for access, commercial companies pay royalties to use the records and charge an access fee to recoup those expenses.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline MikeAlamos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 06 April 17 00:53 BST (UK) »
 :)I wrote to FamilySearch and have just received this response. "Mike,

Thank you for your inquiry about the Derbyshire Parish images.  We were not aware they had been excluded from online viewing. The problem has been fixed. You should be able to see them now. Please let us know if you see any other similar challenges in our collections.

Thanks,

Paul Nauta
Public Relations Manager"

Indeed they are back online

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 06 April 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
Yes they are online but you can't access them other than at an LDS Family History Centre, which was the problem originally posted about.

Annoyingly its not just the Derbyshire PRs that have been restricted to LDS FHC's.  Unfortunately it now looks like all the Sussex PRs have been too.  You couldn't download them but you could at least view them.

Edit - It would appear to be the East Sussex PRs that are now restricted, those held by West Sussex RO are still viewable for free.  Annoying as most of my interest in the county is on the east side.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 06 April 17 08:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the update regarding the situation with Derbyshire records via Familysearch.

I have just been viewing what is available online from home  :)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 April 17 09:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the update regarding the situation with Derbyshire records via Familysearch.

I have just been viewing what is available online from home  :)

Where are you (as your profile doesn't say) because when I click on a Derbyshire parish it says they are only available to LDS Church members or through the LDS Family History Centres.  I'm wondering if the restriction is location based?
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 06 April 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
Edit - It would appear to be the East Sussex PRs that are now restricted, those held by West Sussex RO are still viewable for free.  Annoying as most of my interest in the county is on the east side.

The East Sussex records are still available to view at home. They did disappear a few weekends ago, but came back.

Offline MikeAlamos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 April 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
I am not sure whether the question about location was for me - but in reference to viewing Derbyshire images; I am UK based

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 06 April 17 09:54 BST (UK) »
Maybe it is how you are looking for the Derbyshire images. They may not be accessible via a catalogue place name search. I've tried clicking on a few camera icons and get the viewable at a FHC message.
But they seem to be OK from here
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jvi/

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 06 April 17 10:06 BST (UK) »
I've looked at some today. I'm not in the UK or USA.
Although it does come up with a box that says  'Viewable at a family history center", I found that if you sign in (with your own free account), the images will in fact load.
Quite odd - but I'm not complaining!  ;)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs