Author Topic: CONNELL / O'CONNELL Family of Ballyvoge (Ballyvouge/Ballyvogue), Macroom  (Read 829 times)

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The homeplace for my wife’s branch of the family (usually recorded without the O’ until late in the C19th) has been identified as the townland of Ballyvoge (Ballyvouge/Ballyvogue), west of Macroom. Records can also refer to nearby Inchigeelah and Kilnamartyra (parishes and church) and Macroom (regional registration district). There are enough records to indicate that there must have been an extensive CONNELL family in the area, so I would be pleased to hear from anyone who has more information or is related to this family. The family were Roman Catholic.

The current identified heads of the CONNELL family are my wife’s 2xGGPs John CONNELL, a labourer & his wife Mary McCARTHY who married in 1860. The only family witness at the wedding was a Callahan McCARTHY who is possibly the bride’s father (although it is a popular name in the area). Only 4 children are known, without further information on John & Mary. It is possible they emigrated to the US (to explain son Daniel being there in 1899) or remained in the townland.

Synopsis available on http://creativegraces.net/genindex/oconnell.html

Thanks, Mark