Author Topic: The SHORTEN Family of Moneygaff West, County Cork  (Read 3704 times)

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The SHORTEN Family of Moneygaff West, County Cork
« on: Monday 13 March 17 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hannah Maria SHORTEN, my wife’s 2xGGM, is part of the original family of C17th English Protestant settlers who arrived from Devon/Somerset along with the GOODs and many other families. There are numerous examples of GOOD = SHORTEN marriages in the C19th. At the time of Griffiths Valuation the SHORTEN / SHORTIN families where highly concentrated in West Cork. The SHORTENs can be found in records referring to Moneygaff West (Moneygoff), Ballineen and Kinneigh.

The head of my wife’s SHORTEN family is James Paul SHORTEN (c1799-1887), my wife’s 3xGGF. He was a farmer at Moneygaff West. In 1833 he married my wife’s 3xGGM Mary HARROLD (1816-1904). Their children were baptised at the original church at Ballymoney (Ballineen):

·      Tamar SHORTEN (1831) – noting that Tamar is a widely-used family name = Nicholas WHITE in 1859;
·      Eliza SHORTEN (1833-1865) = John BUTTIMER in 1861;
·      Paul SHORTEN (1834-1893) = Mary Ann BATEMAN in 1875. Paul’s early death was covered by a newspaper article. His widow was left with 7 young children;
·      Hannah Maria SHORTEN (1841-1925), my wife’s 2xGGM = John GOOD;
·      Anne SHORTEN (1843);
·      Margaret SHORTEN (1843-1920) = another John GOOD of Phale;
·      Catherine SHORTEN (1853) = James KINGSTON in 1882 Rosscarbery;

Hoping to connect with other researchers. A location map is available on my synopsis:
http://creativegraces.net/genindex/oconnell.html

Thanks.

Offline supermags

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The SHORTEN Family of Moneygaff West, County Cork
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi just found this site and signed up today. I have a feeling we might have corresponded years ago, certainly the names you mention are familiar. At the time I corresponded with about 4 different people, all looking for Shortens, and I would like to bet are all related. Problem is that there were I believe 3 families of Shortens who came over and settled as part of the plantations and my belief is that 2 families stayed the other went to US. I can only get back as far back as 1842 with mine, and have hit a brick wall, mainly I think because every generation was very prolific in their family additions also the name patterns are virtually identical. Did you ever discover who the originals were and any records of them in Somerset. The name is very popular in Norfolk and East Anglia area In the history of Bandon it mentions the name Shorten as coming to Bandon in 1620's wonder where this infor came from, it would be great to share info if you are happy to do so, and look forward to hearing back from you xxxx

Offline Jtyner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 August 17 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hannah Maria SHORTEN, my wife’s 2xGGM, is part of the original family of C17th English Protestant settlers who arrived from Devon/Somerset along with the GOODs and many other families. There are numerous examples of GOOD = SHORTEN marriages in the C19th. At the time of Griffiths Valuation the SHORTEN / SHORTIN families where highly concentrated in West Cork. The SHORTENs can be found in records referring to Moneygaff West (Moneygoff), Ballineen and Kinneigh.

The head of my wife’s SHORTEN family is James Paul SHORTEN (c1799-1887), my wife’s 3xGGF. He was a farmer at Moneygaff West. In 1833 he married my wife’s 3xGGM Mary HARROLD (1816-1904). Their children were baptised at the original church at Ballymoney (Ballineen):

·      Tamar SHORTEN (1831) – noting that Tamar is a widely-used family name = Nicholas WHITE in 1859;
·      Eliza SHORTEN (1833-1865) = John BUTTIMER in 1861;
·      Paul SHORTEN (1834-1893) = Mary Ann BATEMAN in 1875. Paul’s early death was covered by a newspaper article. His widow was left with 7 young children;
·      Hannah Maria SHORTEN (1841-1925), my wife’s 2xGGM = John GOOD;
·      Anne SHORTEN (1843);
·      Margaret SHORTEN (1843-1920) = another John GOOD of Phale;

Hoping to connect with other researchers. A location map is available on my synopsis:
http://creativegraces.net/genindex/oconnell.html

Thanks.
I have John good of phale and Margaret shorten in my tree. Their daughter Eliza Alice good married Alexander suter deans good who is my 1st cousin 3 times removed.
Williams: Morriston Llangyfelach, Clydach Pontardawe
Jones: Monmouthshire, Caerphilly, Llandefeilog Carmarthen
Hutton: bells hill co. Down, northern Ireland and Dublin
Price: Caerphilly
Lewis: Pembrokeshire
Devonald: Moylegrove Pembrokeshire
David/Davies: Llanelly camarthenshire
Clement: Glamorgan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 August 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi supermags,
Sorry for the delay in response as I didn't get an alert for your message.
I have continuing to collect SHORTENS and I record anything new on my research blog https://www.facebook.com/MyIrishGenealogy/
I recently posted that I made contact with "childsalis" on Ancestry, who has initiated a SHORTEN One-Name Study. I am still developing my contacts since resettling in West Cork, but I may be able to assist with more information. It should be possible to get a bit further back than 1842, although the Church of Ireland records are somewhat patchy. There are a number of our group who offer free research in West Cork, so I could put you in touch with one or two.
I'll be happy to chat on specifics offline RootsChat if you want to contact me via the blog.
Kind regards, Mark

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 August 17 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi jtyner,
"I have John good of phale and Margaret shorten in my tree. Their daughter Eliza Alice good married Alexander suter deans good who is my 1st cousin 3 times removed."

There are multiple GOOD = SHORTEN marriages in West Cork C of I records.
Alexander Suter Deans GOOD is s/o John GOOD & Annie DEANS. This John GOOD is the s/o Thomas GOOD & another Margaret SHORTEN. I have not identified her parents yet, except to locate her marriage in 1822 Murragh.

Eliza GOOD is the 2nd wife of Alexander GOOD, being the d/o John GOOD (of Phale) and Margaret SHORTEN. This Margaret SHORTEN is the d/o James Paul SHORTEN & Mary HAROLD and is my wife's 3xgreat aunt as outlined in the original synopsis.

There are some late C18th records, but insufficient to provide detail of which parts of the family belong. The intermarriages probably mean most GOODs and SHORTENs in West Cork have some form of cousinal relationship.

Regards,
Mark

Offline Jtyner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks mark.
Thomas good and margaret shorten who married in 1822 are my 3rd grt grandparents. Their son Thomas born 1834 married Anne rice in 1861 ballinaboy. The goods lived at little silver and kilhassen.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 17 18:28 BST (UK) »
The connection to Little Silver near Bandon would match the information I have.
Let me know if there any potential information around the family you might be interested in.
M.

Offline Jtyner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 August 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Do you have any wills? I would also like to know Margarets parents and thomas parents and for sure their children. I know Thomas and Margaret had a few including Benjamin, john, Susan, Thomas, and others. I have dna matches to some shortens but I need to go back 1 or 2 more generations back to find the link. I do match someone who descends from the dawson family who married a female good.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 August 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
No Wills to date.
As mentioned, Margaret SHORTEN married in Murragh in 1822. I have not found the original, so do not know if any parentage information is given. Her burial in 1864 at Killowen suggest c1803 as her YOB. No baptism found.
A GOOD researcher has suggested Thomas was born abt 1795 and may be the s/o William GOOD (1762-1855) & Sarah BRADFIELD (1770-1838) who married in 1792.
A list of children I have is attached. Jane was provided by a family member but I have no evidence for when she was born, or if she was the youngest.