Author Topic: Thomas Mark Moody  (Read 5184 times)

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas Mark Moody
« on: Monday 13 March 17 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I feel guilty about posting another query about Thomas Mark Moody, as we failed to track him down in Yorkshire in another subforum. But his arrival in New Zealand is as mystifying as his birthplace. Supposedly he was born circa 1854/55 in Goole, Yorkshire - that is what is on his death certificate, and it feels oddly specific enough to be true. By January 1st 1876 he is in Napier, marrying Mary Ann Tomlyn. My question is how did he get to New Zealand?

I can find a Thomas Moody on the Appeles leaving Glasgow and arriving in Lyttleton in May 1874, but it says he is from Hants and a tinworker, whereas Thomas Mark was a labourer from Yorkshire. Tinworker sounds too skilled for the kind of railway work that Thomas Mark Moody did, so I am thinking this is not him. 

Any advice on tracking him down? He is easy after 1876 - we have him thoroughly covered, but his origins are mysterious.
Smith: East Lothian, Scotland
Mack: Berwick, Scotland
Fell: Yorkshire, England
Smeeton: Leicester, England
Haigh: Marsden, Yorkshire, England
Sullivan: Kerry, Ireland

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Mark Moody
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 March 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Might an ITM (Intention to Marry) shed a little light on how long he had been in NZ; or the marriage certificate itself to narrow down the years to search?
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 March 17 14:35 GMT (UK) »
How long did his death certificate say he'd been in NZ?

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 March 17 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Link to earlier topic in case there are any useful clues there-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=757897.msg6080842#msg6080842
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 March 17 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Twiggytree - where do we find an Intention to Marry?

His death certificate, dated 30 Sept 1942 says he had been in New Zealand 70 years. But this was after a remarriage at age '80' in 1931 according to the 1942 death certificate, on which he is said to be 88 at the time of death, so he aged 8 years over the 11 years he was married. On the death certificate he is also said to be '20' at the time of his first marriage in 1876, but his new wife would probably not have known these details.

The marriage certificate unluckily just says his age is Full in 1876. 

In short none of these numbers are consistent with each other. In the family bible it says he is born April 1 1855, but who knows if this is correct.

That other thread is the Yorkshire thread I was referring to - we failed to track down a really watertight candidate for his birth as well. This is one slippery man to pin down.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 March 17 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Intentions to Marry are usually held at the Wellington office of Archives NZ.  It may be that is still not open after last year's earthquake.  They can be a bit ambiguous as it notes 'time in the area' where one intends to marry, but not necessarily in NZ as a whole.  Sometimes though it can help.  These are not online and require someone to look them up.

Another abstract line of investigation is, that if TMM has any run-ins with the law as a result of his character, he might feature in the Police Gazettes.  The information therein is usually a one-liner with vital statistics only.

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 March 17 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zumaro,

I can get the Intention to Marry Notice for you.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 March 17 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spades
That would be amazing if you could do that - I am so grateful! I did not even know there was such a thing as an Intention to Marry, so once again I learn new techniques from RootsChat. I don't live in New Zealand, so I have no chance to do something like this for myself, so I really do appreciate this offer.

For Police Gazettes, are there online sources? The type of notices I see tend to be only newspaper reports, and there are a few Thomas Moodys around (including in Napier), so I am never sure quite who I am looking at.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 00:07 GMT (UK) »

Do you have the death certificate for Mary Ann MOODY nee TOMLYN?

Can you please identify the children as listed, and name the informant?