Author Topic: Thomas Mark Moody  (Read 5183 times)

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Mark Moody
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 03:56 GMT (UK) »
No - we haven't even confirmed that in the previous thread, so that just sits on the table. There are no watertight candidates for who he is, that agree with 'known' dates and families in Yorkshire at the time. Here I am just trying to track down when he might have come to New Zealand, and on what ship! That seems just as unknowable... It is almost as if he is not Thomas Mark Moody at all
Smith: East Lothian, Scotland
Mack: Berwick, Scotland
Fell: Yorkshire, England
Smeeton: Leicester, England
Haigh: Marsden, Yorkshire, England
Sullivan: Kerry, Ireland

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi zumaro

Thanks for the clarification.   

I read through your earlier thread as well as this one when it popped up in this forum the other day.
[Also saw your online "tree". ]

Have been "chipping away" to see if I can find clues re: arrival of Thomas MOODY ... with no real joy so far.  [That includes endeavouring to eliminate others of same name. ]

I can see you have put much effort into your search - procuring records etc. - and have given us here, a very good account of your findings.   Pleasing ... because it's easy to follow.   ;)

Nowhere though, have I seen you mention that you have the "printout" for the second marriage of Thomas MOODY to Lydia BURGESS (1931)  ?   

~  Lu

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 04:34 GMT (UK) »
In researching the origins, and arrival in New Zealand, of Thomas MOODY, is would be useful to see what degree of attachment he has to the second given name, Mark.

It is useful to see the occasions of, and context in which the second given name is recorded, also the author.

Thomas MOODY does not use the name at marriage. He does not give the name to a son.

Birth record of daughter Mary Elizabeth shows father as Thomas Mark - mother is the informant.

Birth record, 1936, for son Henry Thomas names father with two given names - Henry is the author?

Name in bible uses second given name - author is wife Mary Ann.

Do you see any occasion where Thomas MOODY names himself as Thomas Mark MOODY?

Might be useful to keep in mind when looking for him in early life.

Bible entries at 1922, after Mary Ann has her birth certificate, 1908, her birth date again 1 April?.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 04:53 GMT (UK) »
... (rightly or wrongly)  :D   ... I referred to him earlier as simply "Thomas MOODY" ... because New Zealand records show for the most part, that that was his name.   

Yes, two marriages as plain "Thomas" ... plus numerous children and his name given (mostly) as "Thomas".   Likewise electoral listings ... (perhaps) reports of him in newspapers ... etc.   And his death.

So, if not already in hand, I think the purchase of a "printout" for the second marriage (1931), would be a wise move.  ;)   [Remembering that Thomas MOODY himself will have supplied the
information  ... and who knows, it may just provide that vital clue ?    ;D ]

~  Lu   

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Maybe it is only Mary Ann that bothers to write Mark down - not sure why it is significant to her alone! Probably easier to hide as plain Thomas Moody as its a common name. I am not sure if there are any arrests against him, but he was known to be a drunken brawler, so thats likely.

I just ordered the other marriage certificate. Lets see what it might say. I don't think I have seen one of the more recent NZ certificates and what it might have on it. Are they as helpful as the Scottish ones?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 09:25 GMT (UK) »

The second marriage certificate should ask for parents names and should be useful to your research.

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 10:12 GMT (UK) »
That would be great. Somehow you just know that he will have avoided writing down anything useful... Here's hoping! The early certificates don't have this detail on at all, so I guess I never thought of bothering about getting this one (no discredit to his new wife, who I am sure was lovely!)

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
I was having a quick look on Archway for TMM but didn't come up with anything.

http://archway.archives.govt.nz

RCers: Why wouldn't there be a divorce file?
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Zumaro, not sure if you ordered the "print out" or the certificate but generally it is recommended to get the former.

http://bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/abouttherecords

The print out contains the information required to obtain a marriage license. The certificate however may only have part of that information.

http://bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/dataCollected/marriage
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM