Author Topic: White family late 1700's and early 1800's  (Read 3017 times)

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: White family late 1700's and early 1800's
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Wow! All of this information is fantastic! Lots of leads/info to check out!!!

The records I have from Scotland all have them being married in the Scotland Episcopal Church (rather than the Church of Scotland), and google search indicates it as Anglican.  I imagine in Ireland they were with Church of Ireland.  But I don't know that for certain
Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa
Neilson in Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland
Baillie in Peebles, Paisley, Edinburgh Scotland
Anderson in Angus/Forfarshire & Kincardineshire Scotland
Forbes in Kirkden Forfarshire & Kincardineshire, Scotland
Patterson/Paterson in Carmyllie & Kirkden, Forfarshire Scotland
Calhoun in Tyrone, Ireland & Jersey City, New Jersey
Mitchard in Liverpool England & New Jersey

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 01:03 GMT (UK) »
wow...I will have to look at the Mason White line more carefully.  I've been slowly going through sibling lines to try and fill in the tree and hadn't gotten that far into Margaret's siblings yet.  I do have him. Margaret's brother Mason married Mary Neville (also from Ireland) in 1855 in Scotland.  I have him in the census in 1861 with sons Henry (age 3) and Mason (age 1), but haven't gotten to looking further.  Going to start on that now :)!
Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 01:17 GMT (UK) »
so...YES!  Evidence so far points for Mason White (brother of Margaret) winding up in Pennsylvania.  I have a few death records that list Mary Neville (various misspellings of that) and Mason White, including son Henry (birth date is off from the Scotland record, but close).  That find was fantastic! thanks so much!

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 09:10 GMT (UK) »
It looks like a number of the Whites are buried at Mattawana Cemetery, in McVeytown, Pennsylvania and that the forename Mason carried down through some of the line until at least fairly recent times. I would think there is a high probability (hint - check one such on Facebook) of White descendants still being in the area today.

Mason https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=White&GSiman=1&GScid=45365&GRid=53607873& who lived to a great age

his son Mason (although birth year out by about 2yrs) https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=White&GSiman=1&GScid=45365&GRid=53607874&

another Mason https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=White&GSiman=1&GScid=45365&GRid=146879061& who lived until 1997 and the death of one of his daughters in 2010 
Name        Chesney, Kay Edna (White)
Age         68
Death Date  4/23/2010
Death Place McVeytown, PA
Birth Date  7/25/1941
Birth Place McVeytown, PA
Father      Mason R. White*
Mother      Edna M. (Kane) White*
Spouse      Robert A. Chesney*
Cemetery    Mattawana Cemetery, McVeytown
Sentinel    4/24/2010
as found at http://files.usgwarchives.net/pa/mifflin/obits/2010-04-sentinel.txt

Wilson, another of Mason White and Mary Neville's sons (albeit birth year out by about 4 yrs) https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=White&GSiman=1&GScid=45365&GRid=53607878& note that Wilson also named a son Mason, but that he died as a young child.

others for you to check through:

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSln=White&GSiman=1&GScid=45365&
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 09:50 GMT (UK) »
  I imagine in Ireland they were with Church of Ireland.  But I don't know that for certain

If they were, there are some possibilities including these for CofI:

Aughnamullen (Christchurch)   Births 1888-1901  Marriages 1836-1840 and 1845-1913   
Aughnamullen (Crossduff)       Births 1845-1909

as you can see, though, the available dates aren't ideal. Sources suggest earlier records that did exist, perished.

http://www.rootsireland.ie/monaghan/generic.php?filename=sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources do seem to have transcripts available for the above dates, albeit at a cost (prices at present https://rootsireland.ie/ifhf/subscribe.php ). 

Remember that www.irishgenealogy.ie should eventually have images online (some already are) for historic B/M/Ds from start of Civil Registration onwards, albeit these dates will 'miss' your timescale, albeit might help with any related lines who remained in the area.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
that's fantastic find about the cemetery.  It definitely fits the family.  Might actually be many in the area still today!  And yes unfortunately the Aughnamullen records that do exist aren't necessarily in the time frame I need.  I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to pin down some information for them.  I was hoping to find Mason's marriage to Elizabeth to finally get an accurate surname for her but alas it's not to happen right now...